How to Install Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Challenger DIY/Tech Info' started by SRT-Tom, Jul 24, 2013.

Car Parts
  1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Here are the easy steps to install replacement brake pads for a Brembo system:

1. Push down on the spring clip, and the pin can be pulled out from the back with your finger.
    2. On the fronts, you have to lightly pry between the rotor hub and the front edge of the brake pad (closest to the rotor hub) with a screw driver. There is a slotted area in the caliper towards the rotor hub to gain access. [You can also use a small Philips screw driver to pry up (and out) on the holes on the outer edges of the pad (holes where the pins go thru) against the outside of the caliper].
    3. With a bigger screw driver, you'll need to carefully wedge between the rotor and each piston to drive it back in some to make more clearance for the new, more thinker pad. When you press on in, the pressure pushes the adjacent piston out. I found that I could simply hold the one piston in with my finger(s) while gently wedging a big screw driver between the piston and the rotor.
    4. Clean and wipe down the pin and coat with anti-seize compound (specifically the steel ferule on the head).
    5. Shimmy the new pads in, put one side of the clip in place, and push the pin in from the back side while aligning the pads so that the holes in the pad line up and allow the pin to come through. When you go to tap the pin in from the back side, you'll probably need the same pin punch. (Note- You can use a little tack hammer).
    6. As you are tapping in the pin, you'll know when it's home as the pitch of the “tink-tink-tinking” sound will change drastically, and you'll know you got it all the way in You will see it protruding thru the front of the caliper.
    7. The rear brakes are similar, except that the pads and pins smaller. You will need a smaller pin-punch. The left rear is a little tight behind the caliper as far as getting enough swing with the side of the tack hammer and the smaller pin punch, but stick with it, and keep tinking away until the note of the tinking sound changes. (Note- Persistence pays off here. Even if you think you're not getting enough energy tinking on the pin punch while driving the pin in from the back side on this left rear caliper, stick with it, and concentrate on keeping the pin punch centered on the head of the pin. The sound will change, and you will know when you get it homed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  2. SRT-Tom

3. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

would be nice to have six piston brakes....lol

4. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

I love mine but it ruins you for other cars. After driving my Challenger, driving one of my other cars it feels like there's hardly any brakes. You also have to get used to having a light touch on the brake pedal if you don't want to constantly give everyone in the car whiplash everytime you hit the brakes.

5. SRT-Tom

I feel the same way, and my 2009 SRT "only" has four-piston Brembos.

6. SRT-Tom

One tip...loosen the brake master cylinder cap under a plastic cover just under the hood in front of the driver's seat to relieve air pressure in the system.

Makes all the difference in being able to push back the caliper pistons to make room for new, thicker, pads.