Is the Challenger 6 spd MT worth ordering...2023

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by oldgeezer, Nov 18, 2021.

1. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

Hello..I'm new to this forum...Have been happy owner of 2018 Charger RT...but, sadly sold it few months ago...Now Miss it...and yearn for Hemi without the MDS...Hence, I'm thinking of ordering a 2023 Challenger MT...Can anyone help,me figure if its worth the wait? I'm 77 yrs old...This will be the last new car I buy...

Scotty and Octane like this.
  2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

8-speed auto is 1/2 sec faster in the 1/4 mile
    6-speed MANUAL is 100% more fun to drive.

Just Saying

installed.jpg

NC20RT likes this.
  3. 70-426_10-SRT

Mine is a driver.
    2010 I picked up in 2018 with 8k miles
    Now has 56k :driver:

without-concole.jpg

4. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Many, myself included own and enjoy a MT but not as a daily driver, particularly in stop and go traffic. But assuming your retired and driving mostly for pleasure it might be the right choice. What was the question?

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I would order an 8-speed auto. It is a fantastic transmission. If MDS is your concern, you can bypass it by driving in sport mode.

Are you interested in a 5.7? If you can afford it, I would get a 6.4 Scat Pack.

moabutman1 and Chuckv like this.
  6. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

You have me beat by 10 years but I say GO FOR IT. My only question is about your left leg and it's health. I can still shift my 5 speed Mustang with no issues but I can see a point in time when it may be tough to use that clutch. Just something to consider as I did when I bought my new 2020 R/T 1 year ago.

As much as I dislike the MDS and that pitiful 4 cylinder mode, I would still get the A8 all over again. I'm really getting used to the manual or sport mode and use both the paddle shifters and shift lever. What a wonderful car to have so many choices!! By the way, unless you race or enjoy the track, the 5.7 delivers excellent 1970's muscle car performance as I'm sure you know from your Charger.

Think again about the A8 which also lets you back in a new Challenger much sooner than 2023.

Best of luck with your decision making. Fun stuff! Keep us posted.

7. NC20RT

Maybe not 100% more fun but shifting is definitely a blast over an auto. It's the main reason I still have my GT when I get in that mood. :driver: If I was younger I may have gone 6 speed but one manual car for the wife is enough, especially living in the mountains. It can be a challenge (pun intended).

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  8. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I'm 62 and have a 2015 Challenger SRT 392 with a 6-speed that I bought in 2017 and have really enjoyed the car.

Until about 6 weeks ago ... I would have told you that my next car would also be a 6-speed. But then I had an incident while walking my dog and ended up with a banged up left knee and the car has mostly set in the garage.

So .... now .... with a knee that is still a little wonky .... I'd probably opt for the automatic.

NC20RT likes this.
  9. NC20RT

^^^ Age happens..... Even with simple waxing/detailing, you feel everything the next day AND the day after. No fun, that's for sure. :(

Wizard of Iz and 70-426_10-SRT like this.
  10. 70-426_10-SRT

It's funny, I said the same thing about Electric Start Harleys.

If you can't Kick Start it, you shouldn't be riding a Harley.
    Until I got my 2014 Fat Boy.
    Still have my 1947 Knucklehead, but just kick it over to cycle the oil through it now days.

Personally, at age 61, I still will not own a Truck or Muscle Car with an Automatic.

But I am thinking about a 392 A8 Chrysler 300 SRT,
    (For the Wife of course)