Is the Challenger 6 spd MT worth ordering...2023

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by oldgeezer, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Octane

Octane Full Access Member

I can say mold 2013 RT Challenger with a 6-speed manual had an easy clutch pedal being it was hydraulic and I daily drove it for several years. It was the easiest stick shift I've ever driven. But I will have to say that next time I will get the scat pack just because I believe one can never have too much power.

2. Wm TPA SXT

Wm TPA SXT Full Access Member

2023? The 2022 is not even out yet.

3. arizonajack

arizonajack Full Access Member

I'm 75 and will have several more cars in my future.

Chuckv and 70-426_10-SRT like this.
  4. 2009 Classic B5

2009 Classic B5 Full Access Member

I have owned my '09 R/T Classic 6sp since new and love it. Great road car that gets 28 MPG avg driving from Denver to Orange County area of CA. I really enjoy the feel of a 6sp. Direct coupling of engine to wheels just feels different from 8sp Auto. I still own a '68 Barracuda Formula S 340 A727 auto, and for drag racing, that was the right combo. But for street driving, I prefer the 6sp.

5. DENNIS MORRIS

DENNIS MORRIS Member

I have the MT and was a little Wonky at first, shifting into second gear was difficult at first, i think the bugs have worked themselves out but at 77 automatic may be the best fit

6. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

Thnx to all that replied...I'm very use to driving stick shift...and lucky so far at my age, can handle the clutch, if not too heavy duty..I will be trading in my everyday 2010 VW CC manual T...I do realize the MT Challenger is slower than the auto...I'll accept that, but will always wonder why some computer mods can;t fix that.?
    ...But alarming to me, were some remarks at Dodge review site that say the MT is 'slushy" -- whatever that means...and go with the 8spd auto..BUT< I hated the 4 cyl mode in my Charger...even thou I know it can be blocked driving in sport...The internal eng mods are still there, and may someday cause engine repairs...I'm heading to a used car dealer at noon, to test drive a 2018 with 5.7 and MT...Unable to find [an affordable] scat with the 392...and still considering doing a 2023 factory order...with very long wait times...

7. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

You know about the "SKIP SHIFT Solenoid" you have to by-pass?
    There are a number of these out there, can't believe Chrysler would do this:

https://jetchip.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Cags_Skip_Shift.pdf
    https://www.southerncarparts.com/dodge-challenger-skip-shift-eliminator-p-3595.html
    https://www.edmunds.com/dodge/chall...odge-challenger-rt-info-about-skip-shift.html

SkipGear-bypass-cable.jpg

DENNIS MORRIS likes this.
  8. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

The other thing is,
    You MUST Change the Transmission oil (ATF) every 25k

Was funny, the 1st time I took it to the track was at 28k, and I changed the oil before the second trip to the track and DID notice a big difference.

70-426_10-SRT-13second-club.jpg

NC20RT likes this.
  9. Scotty

Scotty New Member

I am 70 years old and purchased a new 2021 Challenger R/T with the six speed manual. Great car, easy to drive the dual disk clutch is very light and the newer Challengers don’t have the skip shift crap so you can upshift and downshift like the good old days. I used truecar.com to shop around for the best price and found the color and options I wanted it in stock. The car I found was about 2500 off sticker and in stock but had to go out of town a couple of hours to pick it up which made for an excellent road trip back home. I am retired so I don’t have to daily drive in rush-hour crap but I do drive every day on my schedule and just enjoy the hell out of it. I’ve had many MoPars over the years and have to say this is one of the best I’ve ever owned.

89230C2E-96B7-4649-ABDF-80649CF11A10.jpeg

70-426_10-SRT and NC20RT like this.
  10. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Welcome to the neighborhood from Jacksonville, Florida. That's a great looking car.

Back in 2017 I also had to travel to get my '15 SRT 392. Just Jacksonville to Lake Wales.

Wow. I didn't know Dodge had done away with the Skip Shift function. I guess they found another way to keep the EPA people happy.

I thought I could live with it ... until I got caught in game day traffic. I had the Speedlogix Skip Shift Eliminator installed within a week.

NC20RT likes this.