Is the Challenger 6 spd MT worth ordering...2023

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by oldgeezer, Nov 18, 2021.

1. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

Yup..I should clarify...order a 22 and take delivery in 23...!

2. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

Well I took my test drive on the 2018 RT....alone...surprised salesmen don't have to accompany....Did not abuse it...but sensed it pulls out of a turn weak...just like my Charger did...could not feel the extra pull in a turn that I always associated with a good LSD rear...Quick jab on the pedal at stoplight...seemed only the right rear was spinning...fortifying my thought it was NOT a LSD rear in the car...Long discusions with the tech people at this dealer [Car Shop, NJ]..., they say it is LSD...Salesman, at my request called a local Dodge dealer, service dept, got a tech...He said 'car has anti-spin diff..." actually traction control with brakes applied...If it really had LSD,,,,it would be shown on the window sticker....see link...it is not listed...!
    https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDZBT8JH288302....any thoughts ??

3. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

I've read that violent rear wheel hop when breaking the tires loose is more commonly experienced with the manual trans and note there are a number of products on the market claiming to eliminate it (a common byproduct of many of todays Independent Rear Suspensions). It's also commonly reported that the non LSD Challengers / Chargers still leave 2 tire marks on the pavement when breaking the tires loose.

4. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

Now that last statement is really interesting..and matches a lot of the disputed answers I've got today from various Dealers, etc..as to wether this RT actually has a limited slip rear....I'm thinking the two tire marks are result of Traction control applying brakes to rear right...or whatever it does to get the other wheel working...BUT,,,and a big BUT,,,that is not LSD...and, in essence, robs power from the engine..Am I right ?

5. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Many of the reports of 2 tire marks from non LSD applications confirm the traction control was completely disengaged. It was extremely challenging determining which applications possessed compatible LSD and axles for my auto 2010 R/T swap (my diff came from a 2011 manual R/T). Quick look on the forums indicate the 2018 R/T manual trans had the LSD while the auto did not. No forum info on the 2022 yet obviously. Be sure to spin tires cause the wheel hop issue is a deal killer for some!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  6. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I thought all 6-speed challengers came with a Sure Grip differential.

My 2011 Challenger R/T Classic had an automatic 5-speed with an open differential and it would lay down two strips of rubber thanks to the traction control system. So ... it was almost like having an electronic Sure Grip differential instead of a mechanical one.

7. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

I have always thought that Factory Traction Control"...using the ABS braking....can help in snow, mud etc...But actually "robs HP" when racing...?
    Anyhow...the CarShop dealer salesmen has really tried to answer my question on LSD....He had the service dept compare the RT he wants to sell me to another car....sorta looks like a front drive something ? Is this a fair comparison...?
    Heres' the video , both up on lifts...

Do we agree the RT has LSD..? Even thou a Dodge factory Tech told me if it really has LSD...it would be listed on the window sticker when car was built....I have the copy ...and it does not list LSD...or anything close in description

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  8. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

Why bypass MDS feature to sport mode? So engine will last longer?

9. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

Having followed along on the Charger forum for few years...I seem to have learned that the complicated MDS mechanism can fail,,, costly
    So yes....I would prefer to own the "non MDS ' eng...

10. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

So then either don't use MDS feature and switch to sport mode or just get a 6 spd. manual?