Is the Challenger 6 spd MT worth ordering...2023

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by oldgeezer, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Dodgehemi61

Dodgehemi61 New Member

I have had manual shift Cudas and Roadrunners in the past, and the manual shift is fun for a little while. But I always go back to the automatic transmission cars.
    I purchased a tuner to shut the mds off in my challenger, and it worked and sounds great with the Magnaflow axle back kit.

NC20RT likes this.
  2. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

I will get the 8 spd. auto and just switch it to any other mode other than MDS to avoid it.

NC20RT likes this.
  3. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

I'm not a mechanic....But I believe someone couple yrs ago, showed how the MDS works in drawings...and the wear on the parts involved...same parts involved if its switched off..
    Anyhow....Doesn't matter now...Today I bought a 2018 Challenger , 5.7 with 6 spd MT, with shaker hood...Only has 7305 miles on it...Octane red...[my fav color]...1 1/2 hr drive...and can't bring it home till next week...has two long strips of paint clearcoat pealed on roof...body shop to repaint --- Paid $40k...and it's 4 yrs old....Geeeez, couple yrs ago, I woulda laughed hard at anyone who spent that much on a used Challenger...

4. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

Wow! 40K and 4 years old.:snoopfacepalm::ryu-cvs-hadoken-a::guile-1:

5. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

OldGeezer Congratulations on the purchase. :cheers: With those ultra low miles the car must be really excellent except for the paint issue. When you get it, or when the paint is done, please post some photos.

Bad timing as far as buying cars right now, whether used or new. Maybe you could have saved a little money down the road but when you get older it isn't worth it to wait. The day may never come.

My 2020 R/T with the Shaker listed for $48,500 and was rather loaded. You did fine at $40k most likely. If times were perfect you still would have paid $35k or more with those low miles. No big deal when the car checked off all the boxes you wanted. Good move! :waytogo: :waytogo: Don't forget those photos.

oldgeezer likes this.
  6. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Glad to see you pulled the trigger to buy a car now instead of waiting any longer. Good luck with it, with that low mileage it should behave like a new car!

oldgeezer likes this.
  7. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

Thnx...and that extremely low mileage is what convinced me to Not wait any longer....especially as car was the MT that allowed me to avoid owning the MDS eng [again], ..combined with not hearing any Good news about the prolonged 'chip shortage'.. and dealers holding higher sticker prices on new cars..."Enuf !"

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  8. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Congratulations on your new-to-you Challenger. I might have one more car purchase in me. If I do ... it will be a Shaker.

I think you struck a pretty good deal for your Shaker. Prices are relative ... it's the net of a deal that folks should focus on. Yes, people are getting more money for their trade-ins. But the prices of new and used cars have gone up. Sure, I can get about $5K more for my 2015 now than I could a year ago ... but the car I'd buy to replace it has also gone up about $5K. Net difference is $0. People rarely think about what they paid for the car while they're enjoying driving it.

70-426_10-SRT, B5blueRT and oldgeezer like this.
  9. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

ChallengerasnewDEc21 3.JPG

ChallenHomeDec21-6.JPG

ChallShakerDec21 4.JPG

70-426_10-SRT and NC20RT like this.
  10. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Member

Every inch. underside too, is "AS new"...Not a spec of rust, nor grime...Car musta been in long term storage..But as usual...dealers block any contact back to orig owner..In fact, a topic of discussion had to do with my scrutinizing the Carfax, and discovering the car wasn't driven in late 2019 nor any part of 2020...Which lead to "will the 5yr-60k power train warranty still be good ?"...with no oil changes during that time...remains questionable...12mo max time, even with zero miles---Geeez ! Yup, I paid a little extra , it's the discontinued color I wanted, ...but I have it, at my age...Thats a plus...Thnx to all that gave comments...

NC20RT likes this.