Led headlights not working

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by PRIMOLEE, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Headlight repair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Halogen replacement

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PRIMOLEE

PRIMOLEE New Member

My led lights are very dim,they do not have enough power to drive at night, I checked voltage and there is 14 volts in the wires going to the led bulb but no regular light

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

One of the most common causes of dim headlights is a corroded ground wire. Ground wires connect the bulb circuit to your car’s chassis (which serves as the ground itself). Another very common reason to see dim headlights is a failing alternator. That is unlikely, however, if your headlights are receiving 14 volts.

The ground wire to the headlights is usually bolted to a metal body component where it is exposed to water and road salt. Water and road salt make that connection a sitting duck for corrosion. This causes increased resistance and reduced electrical flow, which results in a dim headlight.

To fix the problem, just trace the wiring harness from the back of each headlight assembly and see where it connects to the vehicle body. Disassemble and clean the connection with a wire brush and reassemble it. Coat the parts with dielectric grease to slow down corrosion.

3. PRIMOLEE

PRIMOLEE New Member

Thanks, I will check it out