Low mileage & garage queen owners. Question.

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by NC20RT, Aug 3, 2021.

1. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

I can't help but shrug at times when I detail my Challenger as I notice so many cheap plastic parts. From some of the plastic in the engine compartment to the next to nothing inside black plastic fender wells I wonder how long some of these parts can last.
    For those that bought their Challengers over 7 years or so ago, how have the cheap parts held up over the years?? Have you had to replace parts that crack or break?
    I know how to take care of my cars as my 20 year old Trans Am and 14 year old Mustang still are #2 (perhaps #2-) condition cars with 77k and 60k miles respectively. Being garage kept obviously helps immensely too. I'd like to think I can do the same with my R/T but like I said, some of these parts are just brutally cheap, and believe me, the Pontiac and Ford have some crappy parts too but they are lasting for the most part.
    Can I be somewhat optimistic? Even if the answers are negative I am going to do my best. I'm hopefully in for the long haul if my health permits.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The only items that have needed replacement on my 2009 SRT were:

1. Rocker panel moldings
    2. Interior plastic window/door trim moldings
    3. Rubber seal between nose and hood
    4. SRT 8 badge (trunk)- red paint peeled

George and NC20RT like this.
  3. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

My 2015 SRT 392 was, wasn't, and is a garage queen. From its original purchase in December 2015 to December 2017 when I bought it with just 1,360 miles, it was a garage queen as the original owner decided a 6-speed wasn't for him. I used it as a daily driver in all of 2018 and added just shy of 19,000 miles that year. Then in January of 2019 it became a garage queen again when my mom handed me the keys to her '05 Monte Carlo. As a result, I've only added about 10,000 miles in the last 31 months.

All of the plastic and rubber pieces on the car and under the hood look nearly as good as the day I got the car. I use Mothers Back-to-Black aerosol under the hood and Back-to-Black gel on the plastic surrounding the tail lights, front grill area, splitter, and rocker panel trim pieces.

BTW ... my windows are tinted and I use a sun shade in the windshield to protect against sun damage ... and keep the interior a little cooler in the Florida heat ... when it's not in the garage. I think it helps that I use Mothers VLR (Vinyl / Leather / Rubber) on the rubber gaskets and the interior a few times per year.

In fact, I've had very few issues with my car.

1. The two-piece Brembo rotors had to be serviced to eliminate an annoying clicking sound at about 1,500 miles
    2. The Climate Control system had to have a software update to correct an issue where the blend door was cutting off cool air to the driver's side at about 10,000 miles
    3. The water pump bearings failed in November of 2018 at about 18,000(??) miles. (Just 5 days shy of it's 36 month in-service anniversary.)

NC20RT likes this.
  4. Gregory Cooper

Gregory Cooper Full Access Member

I am the 2nd owner of my '12 R/T

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2021
  5. Gregory Cooper

Gregory Cooper Full Access Member

I am the 2nd owner of my '12 R/T. I have NO issues with any of the plastics on this car.
    But I understand your concern. Seems all brands are using too much plastics to reduce weight and increase fuel economy thanks to the EPA.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2021
    NC20RT likes this.
  6. NC20RT

Thank you all very much for your replies. Keep them coming.

7. mikeT

mikeT Full Access Member

These are production line cars, Govt. says they must get so and so MPG. Plastic. lightweight, doesn't rust. cheap to replace. Also, these cars are not all that expensive. Most Challenger owners will buy another Challenger so they get newer plastic plus a newer car,
    So you're saying you like to drive Monte Carlo more than the Challenger. Weird.

8. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Not at all! I love driving my Challenger. For that matter, I enjoy driving our '17 Durango R/T more than the Monte Carlo.

Here's the thing ... I like going to cruise-ins with my buddies on Saturdays. But this time of year it's so dang hot and the car is so dang big that I try to avoid getting it dirty during the week so it'll be clean for Saturday. Because if it gets dirty or caught in the rain during the week, then it has to get washed.

Besides ... driving the ol' Monte Carlo means the Challenger is safe from all of the idiots and door dingers.

B5blueRT and NC20RT like this.
  9. NC20RT

Wizard of Iz, I thought I was the only one that kept the car in the garage if the weather looked 'iffy'. I guess not. As much as I enjoy driving my R/T I do not look forward to washing it. Detailing, waxing, etc... is enjoyable to me as a normal ownership experience but getting caught in unexpected inclement weather means at least an hour of 'busy' work, and it's tough as we get older. The R/T is so much bigger than my other rides plus the wheels take forever vs the simple 5 spoke variety.

70-426_10-SRT and Wizard of Iz like this.
  10. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

You guys are going to kill me, but since my Challenger is my daily driver, I take it out in all weather. My old muscle car stays in the garage ready for cruise ins. When its real hot or the weather is iffy, I'll take the Challenger to cruise ins. I'm not real concerned about getting it dirty, I have an unlimited car wash membership for all my cars since its too difficult for me to wash them at home.
    The Challenger had a full professional detail two years ago. With Insulator Wax and a spray-on ceramic wax, it holds up well. Using the spray-on ceramic on the wheels really helps keep them clean. I get comments all the time on how nice it looks.

NC20RT likes this.