Muffler Help

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Jukonion, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Jukonion

Jukonion Member

Hi Guys,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T and I have been doing quite a bit of research on much mufflers. I know that youtube and video's don't really give justice to the sounds.

I am looking for a muffler that will produce a Low tone and is not super loud.

I want something that will make my car purr really nicely as I believe a muscle car should in idle when you first turn it on. I was thinking the Borla S-Type might be the winner, but I wasn't too sure of other options that might produce the same.

My buddy has a mustang GT and he has the Roush muffler that sounds very awesome.

Any Advice?

2. rtchallenger12

rtchallenger12 Full Access Member

My R/T Classic has FM 40 Series and the rear Resonators removed and replaced with straight pipe
    Cold start it's pretty loud and has a great rumble when you get on it, the best part is it is affordable
    Drone isn't bad at all while MDS is kicked in, so I'd really recommend Flowmaster if you want great quality sound and a cheap price tag

If you're interested, checkout this (although lengthy but has good info) video from Flowmaster to figure out which one is best for you:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QEBdiW4LbI0
    Then once you find one you might like, look up some sound bites of that specific muffler and see which one would sound best in your opinion

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. Jukonion

Jukonion Member

Thank you

Thank you for the link and the information.

That was a really informative video. I'll have to research each of those muffler sounds to see which one makes a close enough sound that I like. I'll also need to figure out if I need have to add a resonator to limit the drone noise.

4. rtchallenger12

With my 40s the drone isn't bad at all, it just sounds like a muscle car driving down the highway! It's a slight "hum" but nothing that would give you a headache on long rides
    When you start getting closer to say, the Super 10, that's when it'll sound crazy good on cold start and when you rev the engine, but the drone will be terrible on the highway with an automatic because of MDS
    R/Ts come with Resonators already which quiets things down a bit, I had mine taken off so it'd be louder but it still isn't overbearing on the highway
    If you're interested in the Super 10 (basically a straight pipe but a little quieter than the Outlaw) I'd consider keeping the resonators on

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  5. Jukonion

Jukonion Member

I ended up getting the super 10s put on and I think they sound pretty awesome when you get on it. The drone isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I am thinking about purchasing the Super 44's I want that deep rumble sound. I think that the Super 44's might be the answer.

Thanks for your explanation it really helped me out. Hopefully, this discussion assists others too.

6. rtchallenger12

Checkout some info on the 40 Series one as well, it has a great rumble sound on mine and it sounds great when you get on it. I don't remember the video verbatim but I think the 40s are one or two levels below the Super 10s and it'd probably be perfect for you
    I have a Super 44 on my Jeep (v6 obviously) and it sounds good and would sound good on the Challenger also, but the 40s give it that deeper, more aggressive note that the 44 doesn't give
    Nevertheless, the 44 would sound badass too! I don't think you'll go wrong with either
    Good luck!

7. spyhard

spyhard Full Access Member

The Magnaflow Competition series also sounds very good!

8. Jukonion

Jukonion Member

Yeah Magnaflow does make some awesome mufflers.

I contacted both Flowmaster and Magnaflow before making my decision and the Flowmaster customer service was a lot better and helpful in describing how to get the deep, throaty, rumble sound that I was looking for.

From what I gathered in doing research for anyone in the future that might want to try this out is you have to go with the straight-through MagnaFlow mufflers if you are aiming for a deep, throaty sound. Most people from what I can tell aim more for loud and aggressive which is cool, but not what I'm after these days.

I ended up getting the Flowmaster Super 44's and I am happy with the sound quality. The Drone noise is not bad, but I also have Resonator's, so that helps.

9. chithead

chithead Full Access Member

Awesome! Flowmaster does make some decent sounding mufflers for sure.

Sorry I hadn't seen this earlier, would have mentioned DynoMax to you. Wanted it on our Ram R/T, as I had their complete exhaust on a 91 5.0 Mustang - wasn't too loud at all, just a really deep rumble. On flowcharts, they seemed to perform better than a lot of others too.

Can you upload some clips of the Flowmaster? I'm curious how they sound on there. :D