Need help with Driver lower panel access (2018)

Discussion in 'Challenger Interior Modifications' started by Italianguy63, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Italianguy63

Italianguy63 Member

Hey all.. new member here.. could use some info! I'm stumped.

I have a 2018 Challenger R/T Plus, and I need to get behind the Driver Side lower dash panel (under the steering wheel).

I took the side dash cover off and found a screw, and at the bottom it appears to be hinged on a bolt. I have tried pulling on it and it doesn't budge. What am I missing? I don't want to break anything.

Thanks in advance! MC

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I found these instructions about how to remove the lower panel on a Charger. They may help.

1) Open the driver's door and you will see a piece of plastic trim (~1' long) running up along side the dash. Gently work your fingers in behind it and pull straight out. This exposes one of two screws holding the lower dash panel in place.

2) Remove the two screws from the lower dash (the one you just exposed and the second is next to the OBDII port directly below the steering wheel.

3) Gently grab the lower dash panel at the bottom and pull straight out to release the clips holding it in. Be careful as the trunk release wires are not real long. Once you have released the clips, you will be able to disconnect the trunk release and set the lower dash panel aside.

4) Directly below the steering wheel is a metal plate held in place with four 10mm bolts. Remove those and set the metal plate aside.

3. Italianguy63

Italianguy63 Member

Thanks.. I will look, but going to be out of town today.. I appreciate the help, but, I don't think it will be the same as the Charger.. at the bottom it appears there is a "hinge" and the panel tips outwards.. but, it doesn't want to budge... but, maybe there is another screw at the bottom. ???

4. Italianguy63

Italianguy63 Member

Nope. No luck.

No screws at the bottom. Took the side screw out, and even tried prying the plate down from the dash (pretty hard)-- it doesn't budge.

I need to find somebody with access to a Service Manual. The (exploded) parts list from Mopar only shows the plate itself, and not how it is attached.

MC

5. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

What is it you’re trying to do? Perhaps You Tube would have an install video that would cover the removal of this?
    I have a service manual for my 2017 Hellcat, it doesnt go into detail in the bookmarks for interior panels removal.

6. Italianguy63

Italianguy63 Member

Trying to get behind that panel to install some equipment... I have not been able to find the info. in any YouTube vids or any info. on several Challenger forums. I found info on an older model challenger... and it said remove the screw from the left side, and then the panel pulls down, but not detailed...

MC

7. Italianguy63

Italianguy63 Member

I think I have it figured out... I found a picture of the back side of it... apparently there is the one screw, and 4 body clips. It pulls OUTWARDS and not downwards... 3 clips across the top. and one clip near the bottom right side.

I'll try later today.

8. Italianguy63

Italianguy63 Member

OK I got it!!

There are 2 screws on the left side. One at the top and one at the very bottom. You have to remove the dash side plate, then the a small trim plate on the door sill next to it. Then you pull off the lower door sill. That gives you access to the bottom screw (the one I thought was a hinge). After that, it is pretty easy to pull the dash "out" pretty easy dislodging the 4 clips. When putting it back together, clip the bottom right clip first, then the top clips, and then the 2 screws, then the 2 sill trim pieces, and finally the dash side plate.

Thanks for helping!

MC

9. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Isn't it rewarding to figure something like that out :)

Great job.

It is helpful to take Pictures and post them HERE so others can learn from your experience.

10. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I used your write-up to post a DIY tip.

Italianguy63 likes this.