New B here!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Old guy 7, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Old guy 7

Old guy 7 New Member

I'm an old man and always wanted an R/T and finally pulled the pin and couldn't be happier. Looking to improve the sound a little (all stock now). Want it to be seen and heard but not abusive. Looking forward to picking all of your brains! Happy New year to you all!

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

3. bobbymac

bobbymac Full Access Member

Wish I could help you old timer.... My family thought I was kind of nuts to buy a Charger scat pack in 2017. Its as big as an old lead sled but goes like it stole something... I liked it so much I spent my hard earned saved money on a 2021 challenger 1320.... From an old motor head 78 and hope to see a few more years now that Long island finally has a race track....
    You do your thing. You like the sound of glass packs help your self... And remember -- it aint the tires screeching its the road screaming... bobbymac
    PS SRT Tom gives the best advice. And a happy, happy 2023 to you....

Old guy 7 likes this.
  4. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

I have never, before today, seen anyone say that.
    That, to me is the best quote to bring in the New Year!
    Congratulations on that!

5. Old guy 7

Old guy 7 New Member

Thanx for the replies and will definitely look into the suggestions and "gotta do my thing" !!

6. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

Welcome to the site, I am speaking for myself, I, too, am an old guy, depending what old is? lol :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2023
  7. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

If you want a louder exhaust sound, install single-chamber Flowmaster Super 10 mufflers. Your Challenger will probably be 15% louder than stock, with a vastly improved exhaust tone, a nice grumble at idle and a real deep bark at WOT. Keep the resonators to prevent drone and rattling.

8. Moparisto

LOL to the Starbucks and Man Bun Generation, anyone who swims without having tail attached?

9. Moparisto

BTW the resonators are the things on the tips of the exhaust, not the mufflers, which are the ones underneath the middle of the car.

10. Moparisto

Also, go for some long-tube headers, either Tri-Y or 4-into-1 that are about 1 7/8" in diameter to maximize scavenging in each cylinder and pave the way for more future modifications.

People claim they aren't necessary. Neither are Challengers. Their argument is pointless. They are a fundamental thing to do to improve cylinder-to-cylinder consistency in an engine. It is childish to bray that they "aren't needed because uncle Clem done run a 8 secind quatter mile with stock headers and 25,000 dollars in the motor!!!"

I also suggest high-flow catalytic converters. They do make a difference.

Of course, you will need a PCM change and a proper tune to add to it. Many, such as Curt Dusterhoff offer pre-configured tunes for various combinations of long-tube headers, etc., Better fuel mileage and greater power await, as well as great sounds.

PS I strongly advise wrapping your stainless headers back to the catalysts in heat-retaining insulating wrap. "Why to the catalysts?" you say? Keeps that exhaust nice and hot when first warming up the car so that cold and rich warmup exhaust doesn't "tar" the catalysts with cold unburned hydrocarbons, but instead, the catalyst lights off fairly quickly.

Besides, heat wrap keeps your headers from boiling some of the components of your fuel system and fuel on its way to the injectors, which can cause starting issues when heat-soaked.

You will find what little or great things you can do that will take you to your happy place.

If you are determined and have lots of money, you can find as much peak power with a naturally-aspirated motor as with a Hellcat, but it all depends on your level of determination.

RHS CNC-ported heads, titanium retainers, stiffer valve springs good to 8000 RPM, and aftermarket cam that emphasizes upper RPM more, a great tuner, etc., it just depends on what you want and how you are willing to get it.

But, you will want bona fide forged rods and aftermarket pistons for no surprises.

There are so many things you can do. Also, do you like it idling like an angry race car?

Heck, even just retarding the cam a bit can yield a shift in hp up the RPM scale...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023