New Challenger... I have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by GoFast, Nov 8, 2019.

1. KEVIN DONOVAN

KEVIN DONOVAN Full Access Member

Regarding tires...
    If memory serves, there are (3) wheel/tire packages available on the R/T and up models.
    Standard is the 245 tire on 8" wheels.
    Dynamics package offers 275 tires on 9.5" wheels
    Widebody package offers 305 tires on 11" wheels
    You mentioned "stock rims" so I'm assuming you have the 245's on 8" wheels. If so, I doubt you could or would want to mount 305's on 8" wheels.

2. GoFast

GoFast Active Member

Let me rephraze the tire question: what are the widest tires we can put on our stock Scat Packs?

I read somewhere the 305/35x20 will fit but haven't been able to confirm. Looking online I found that the 2018 Scat Pack has 3, a 9"x20 and a 9.5"x20 and a 9.5"x21. Since the Hellcat has 9.5" rims I know the 305s will fit that wheel but I have the 9" on mine. Think I'm gonna find a custom wheel shop and ask them what they recomend.

I'm finding that while the traction control works really well, the car just needs more grip.

Screenshot_2019-11-15_150723.jpg

3. KEVIN DONOVAN

I'd be suspicious of that info. You can look up tire and rim sizes on the Dodge website and they state the 245 tires are on 8" rims, not 9" per this site. Also, 305 tires are on 11" rim's. If you're saying that your car has 9" or even 9.5" rim's, I'd say that while you "could" mount 305's on your rims, it wouldn't be advisable.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4. GoFast

GoFast Active Member

Ya, gonna bring her to a custom tire place. Let the experts decide. Best way to play it same.

5. ZEN357

ZEN357 Full Access Member

6. GoFast

GoFast Active Member

Here is some true 2019 Challenger tire and wheel info. Pulled directly from the Dodge website:

The 2019 Scat Pack Standard Tires are the 245/45x20 on a 9" rim called Black Noise and another 9" rim option with the same tires called Low Gloss Forge Aluminum. You can upgrade to the 9.5" rim options with the 275 tires on the SP, no 305 tire option though.

The 5.7l R/T has a 245/45 tire on an 8" rim, there are a few 8" rim options with those tires, but you can upgrade the 5.7 R/T to a few of the 9" and 9.5" Options with 245 and 274 tires respectively.

The 11" rims are only available on the wide body model Challengers.

Pictures are the SP with Standard rims, SP with the Low Gloss rims like I have, R/T with 8" Standard rims and the R/T with the 9" Low Gloss rim. Pictures sniped from Dodge.com.

Unless there was an 8" Low Gloss rim in 2018 for the SP my rims are 9" in a 245/45x20 tire. Kevin, if you see something different please share with a snip or website link. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get to the facts. I think you were looking at the R/T section on the Dodge website. You need to look at the Scat pack section as some of the wheel and tire options are different. There are so many options it's actually very confusing.

I found some info on another forum that the 305s will fit on the 9" rim but if put them on the front they will rub. You can put 305s on the back and 275s on the front. But I'm only panning to do the back anyway.

I'm still gonna go to a custom tire shop though and see what they say. Kevin, if you see some other info somewhere else on their website please do a screen shot/snip and share. Or copy and paste the web link. Since this is the 2019 inof it is very possible 2018 had an 8" Low Gloss rim, just doesn't seam likely.

SP Wheels STndrd.PNG

SP Low Gloss.PNG

RT Wheels STndrd.PNG

RT Low Gloss.PNG

7. GoFast

GoFast Active Member

I actually don't particularly like the look of mud flaps on a muscle car and was looking for more of a low profile rock guard, but I think I finally found it. (Sorry guys, I don't like the look of the Dodge/Mopar mud flaps.) https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-splash-guards-2015-2019-dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-daytona/ Price is good also. But I'm still not 100% sure I want to do this. I might just clean it regularly.

Not sure if I can legally smoke the tails lights, I live in California. The least I plan to do is black out all the fake chrome every where other than the DODGE on the back... TBD.

I also plan to make the side markers clear so they are yellow when on and clear/white when off and do something with the rear reflectors so they do their job but don't look out of place. I think it will make the lines more clean and add a nice finishing touch.

Not planning to do this all to quickly though. I want to make sure I get the subtle details right.

8. GoFast

GoFast Active Member

After doing more research online it seams that the 275 is the widest recommended tire for a 9" rim. More than that and you get the hour glass effect and might not get all the tread planted to the ground properly. Think I'm gonna go with the BF Goodrich Gforce. TBD...

9. KEVIN DONOVAN

You are correct. Both about the "hour glass" effect and the Scat Pack having 9" rims with 245's on the base model. I must have been looking at the R/T page and jumped to the conclusion that ALL 245's were on 8" rims. Getting back to what tire should go with what rim, basically, a good rule of thumb is that the tread width shouldn't exceed the rim width. if you DO exceed the rim width then chances are good you aren't actually getting your full tread width on the road.