New prospective owner to the forum, looking for some help/advice

Discussion in 'Prospective Challenger Owners Forum' started by gostro, Mar 24, 2013.

1. gostro

gostro Full Access Member

Hi everyone! I'm Greg, 31, from Indiana. I'm hoping some of you current owners or owners-to- be can help me out... I know I should probably be introducing myself in the forum for that, but I'm trying either doto kill two birds with one stone in this thread. Long story short, I grew up loving muscle cars. All of em'. From Stangs, to vettes, challengers, charges, camaros - you name one of the big three and there's a 60's-70's muscle car I like from them. When Ford retro-styled the stang, I thought for sure that might be the one for me. That is, at least until the challenger came out... After being disgustingly disappointed by what they did to the charger, I saw the challenger and realized this was the no-contest winner. It looked like the very cars I wanted ever since I could remember wanting a car. Which brings me to my questions for this thread...

I have been waiting years to get a challenger. Not just any challenger. The cream of the crop, an SRT-8. With perhaps the best color ever coming out, plum crazy, I think it's do or die time for me. I either do it now, or never have my dream car. Everything I've read in forums points to PCP being gone soon, with the challenger gone within maybe a year or two tops and a crummy "refresh" on the way for 2014. So...

1) Can anyone tell me when the LAST day I can order one is? I am considering the core model srt8. The bells and whistles would be nice, but I want the car for what it is and the 5k drop in price really caught my eye.

2) What is everyone's experiences with ordering a car in general, and in particular, a challenger? Any advice or tips?

3) The core model lists for $39,900... Does anyone have any recommendations on a lower negotiated price? I've always considered paying sticker to be crazy. But, being a limited run, there may be little to no wiggle room on this one. Any success stories from members or resources would be appreciated. I've tried consumer reports, which has gotten me FANTASTIC deals in the past, but an SRT8 isn't even a selectable option for a new car price report.

4) Does anyone recommend WAITING, for any reason?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm open to any advice, suggestions, encouragement, anything, really, that can be helpful in this big decision!

- Greg

2. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

If the rumors are true, PCP will be available in 2014 as well, so do not feel rushed. Additionally, a color like PCP actually only appeals to a niche market. Many say they want PCP, but when it comes down to actually signing the papers, few actually want to pay $40K for a purple car. Dealers will probably have some on lots for months. Mine was still on a lot in February of 2011, almost a full year.

I went for every option when I purchased because I never wanted to say "I wish I got this or that". I do not regret it..but be honest with yourself what you want AND what you need. I didn't feel that I needed the extra hp of the SRT, as I do not race her and she is more or less a sunny weather, just cruising around car..and I liked the stripes and wheels of the R/T Classic better too.

Also consider that there are always barely used cars for sale each year, often because people buy a car like this even tho they cannot afford and do not need it. You can get some pretty good deals that way.

3. gostro

Thanks JMD! I appreciate the insight. I definitely know I want the SRT8. I love plum crazy. Wouldn't kill me, though, to go with rally redline or white as well, but PCP is what I've had my eye on the most. I think it's just plain tough looking, especially with black stripes added. I've just been really concerned that 2014 MY won't be what I like/want with a supposed "refresh". I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to " miss out" if I don't jump on one soon. On the other hand, waiting a while is the best financial decision. More money for a down payment. **sigh!** Decisions decisions!

4. jonmandude

In the end, you have to do what is right for you. But please don't lose sight of the financial end. It would be heartbreaking to get your dream car only to lose it because you over-extended yourself.

I went thru probably the same dilemma you are going thru now. I questioned the finance end over and over. I have never paid this much for a car before. Two things friends said to me that stuck and sealed the deal.
    1) Do you want it badly and will you regret NOT buying it
    2) If you want anything badly enough, you will find a way to get it

5. gostro

You're absolutely right, JMD...! Truth is, I can hardly stop thinking about it. I, too, never spent such $$ on a car. My last car I bought, a 2008 Altima 3.5, fully loaded, which I dearly love, was just under $30k after some heavy negotiating, and will be paid off in may. That was huge to me. Felt like a king and still do in that thing. It's been my baby, but my eye has been on the challenger SRT8 for years, since day one. Seems like having to have a DD has always held me back. I've got an '04 corolla that i use for work, 100-mile round trips daily with 230k miles. The Altima has 104k. I keep thinking how nice NO car payment will be, but still keep coming back to the challenger. It's definitely a want, not a need. I'm fortunate in my position and always said that my paid off Toyota/Altima was going to be my ticket to the challenger. I just wish I had concrete info on what's up and coming. If I knew I could wait six months, a year even, and still have the dream car, I'd be feeling less rushed. But I know if I miss an opportunity, I'll regret it. Say they drop the challenger next year. Or refresh it and I hate what they did. Now, what am I getting? Perhaps a used car that got the shit beat out of it? Or am I settling for what " almost" was what I wanted? That's my worries, I guess. Just keep feeling like my time is running out.

6. gostro

P.S. Thanks again for all the advice JMD! Glad to know someone else out there wrestled with the same issues.:) And your challenger looks bad ass, BTW! I just love that PCP!!

7. jonmandude

With all you have said, my honest advice, if you can swing it financially, which it sounds like you can, is pull the trigger. Your Altima will be paid off before you even receive the Challenger. As you said, if you wait you may regret it. Yes, you could wait, maybe miss it and buy a used one. But it sounds like that would give you regrets too. You have already sold yourself on it, it is just a matter of doing it.

8. RT_6Speed

RT_6Speed Full Access Member

Hi Greg, and welcome. From another perspective I certainly understand the wanting part but really time isn't running out all that fast. Like you I wanted one of the retro Mustangs when they came out but in the end decided against it. I've always, since I was 17, wanted a roots blower on a muscle car. Although I wanted it at 17 it took me 33 more years to be in a position to where I can actually do it without any financial considerations. Likewise, I never owned a new car of any kind until I was 35 and then it was a plain stripped down S-10 pickup.

No matter what comes out there will always be a used car market. Ebay always has quite a few SRT's with less than 5K miles on them. There are a few that buy these cars because they want them only to discover they really can't afford them because there at a different place, presently, financially.

My advice, think about it, do what's right for you and your present situation but don't fee rushed. Car dealerships thrive on getting the last $$ from you by convincing you that you're about to get the best deal ever... but only if you act now :)

Again, good luck and welcome to the forum!

9. gostro

Thanks, RT! (And again JMD). RT, what you said is very true and something I've also thought a lot about. " act now or it's gone!" is one of the biggest sale-makers and worst deal-makers. That's where I'm also trying to hold back at least a little bit. A little bit of patience might get me a better deal. Even if I miss an order date, I'm guessing in a few months there will still be a PCP that I love and am able to buy, with a better down payment, even. Perhaps I can go an extra option even. So, that is where I'm trying to keep my mind focused as well. If I don't order, I can probably still get it later in the summer. Do either of you guys know how long it generally takes if I DID order one? In other words, if I order now and I've got till say July or august or something to squirrel away down payment money, then I'm good. If it'll come here in only a month, then I'm better to wait, save more and scour around for one that hasn't sold yet towards the end of the summer...

10. jonmandude

The guys who have ordered 2013 PCP's in early February are starting to get theirs now. So the time frame looks to be 6-8 weeks