New widebody Challenger can’t be aligned

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Sparky, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Sparky

Sparky Member

I have a 2021 Challenger scat pack which was out of alignment when sold. I took it in to the dealership for its first oil change and tire rotation and they noticed the uneven tire wear, and scheduled an appointment for an alignment. At that appointment the tech said the car could not be aligned as equipped, and they ordered a new sway bar, I believe. This was a week ago and they still cannot tell me whether the repair and new tires will be covered under warranty.

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

If the alignment issue was present when you bought your Scat Pack (common due to the use of hold down straps during delivery), the sway bar and labor should be covered under your new car warranty. The dealer should have noticed this during its PDI (pre-delivery inspection).

That being said, a sway bar, itself, cannot cause a bad alignment. This would only occur if the mounts were bent. In this situation, the drop link would bind the suspension and cause the bar to preload one side of the car.

Tires, however, are warranted separately by the tire manufacturer. They, however, wouldn't cover uneven tire wear due to misalignment since the issue was not caused by a tire defect. Unfortunately, you will have to fight with the dealer to pay for new tires.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  3. Sparky

Sparky Member

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep you informed

4. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

There's quite a bit of similar experience info on the various forums you can look at to try and grasp a better understanding of what might be involved.

5. Sparky

Sparky Member

Thank you. I have not seen that. Could be why this is taking so long. It would not be very good press for them to deny me a free fix under the warranty, including new tires. But maybe they can’t fix it? Can you point me in the right direction to find this issue elsewhere?

6. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Jut type in key words ie Challenger alignment issues, Challenger premature tire wear, Challenger improper tire wear etc and results will present themselves.

7. Sparky

Sparky Member

Thank you.

8. Sparky

Sparky Member

Update as follows; The dealership is waiting for a new Camber link, not a sway bar. This is my bad. The part they are waiting on is some sort of updated replacement for the original. They can’t align the car within the specs without it. They couldn’t explain why the car would come from the factory with an improper camber link. They will call me when the new Camber link comes in. I have left the car with them because it is unsafe to drive.

they gave me the colored diagnostic reports from the first attempt at an alignment, and I can put those up if anyone is interested and I can figure out how to do it.

all four tires have outer tire tread wear and bizarre uneven wear across the inner tread. They are waiting on the tire warranty rep, who has kicked the claim upstairs to his boss, so I won’t hear until next week. I told The dealers service rep that it wasn’t the tire manufacturers problem, and that the dealership was responsible for the tires because the alignment was bad from the get-go. He did not disagree with me, but said the dealership would fight with Chrysler over who is responsible for the new tires. I told him I thought that they should be doing a better job of keeping the customer (me) happy. Someone at the dealership should be assuring me that I will not have to pay for new tires. But so far no luck with that.

Thank you all for your help with this!

9. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

hi there, how many miles are on the car?

10. Sparky

Sparky Member