New widebody Challenger can’t be aligned

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Sparky, Mar 16, 2022.

1. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

Is this a common occurrence with wide body Challengers?

2. Sparky

Sparky Member

I don’t really know, but I’m thinking it is. The dealership and Chrysler are involved in a dispute over who is responsible for the tires. They admit they owe me the camber link, but each apparently blames the other: The car arrived at the dealership Badly out of alignment and not allignable within specs without at least the addition of a Camber link. But the dealership failed to catch this in their pre-delivery inspection, and they sold me the car to drive after I gave them $60,000. I ruined the tires before the first oil change. Apparently, the car can’t be aligned without both the addition of a Camber link (at least) and new tires. The service technician seemed dubious that he would be able to do it at all.

The Camber link was at the dealership two days ago, but they still have not ordered the tires. It appears they won’t order the tires as long as there is a dispute with Chrysler. This according to the service representative yesterday.

I have a call into the dealership manager but, To date, no one has assured me that I won’t have to pay for new tires.

It’s been a month since the first oil change and tire rotation, during which time I haven’t been able to use the car. At a minimum, I think this is what they owe me now; reassurance that they will put the car in the condition required under our purchase and sale agreement, or give me a different car, or a full refund.

3. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Hopefully a rep from Dodge Cares is reading this thread and will jump in to offer you some help.

4. stingray

It's things like this that will make a person go out and buy a turbo charged 2.0 Honda Accord with 10 spd. automatic or a Toyota Camry. Whichever brand/car model is more reliable.:33:

5. Sparky

Sparky Member

Status update: The car has been out of action for a month but today I heard from the dealership who promised for the first time they wouldn’t try to stick me with this issue. They apologized for the length of time that I have been left in limbo.

It turns out they didn’t have the right alignment specs for this car. They didn’t need the camber link after all. But they can’t determine if it’s been aligned until they have new tires, which they hadn’t ordered as of noon today.

They’ve been in a dispute with Chrysler over who is responsible for the tires, which they say cost about $3000. They asked me to call a one 800 number and start a case file with a Chrysler, which I did. They said this would help them get their entire file to the next level up on some sort of appeal.

for the first time today dealership said they would cover the cost if Chrysler would not, and give the car back to me 100% aligned with new tires. They offered to provide the before and after alignment print out and stand behind the car if it happens again.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  6. stingray

Hope they gave you a loaner car during the time your car is down.:driver:

7. Sparky

Sparky Member

The saga continues.

today the dealership called me and told me my car was ready. it had been aligned to the proper specifications, it had new original equipment tires, and it had been test driven, I was told. I would find a significant improvement in the handling.

however, when I drove the car immediately I could tell it has the same issue it’s had since day one. It wanders on the road. It’s most noticeable on the highway, where you have to keep two hands on the wheel. No holding a cup of coffee and steering with one hand. If there’s a crown in the road and you let go of the wheel, the car will wander up the crown, wobble on the top, and then perhaps shoot back across the lane to the opposite side of the road.

I returned to the dealership and got the service manager to take a drive with me in the passenger seat. He agreed with me right away that there is something wrong with the car, and said that they didn’t know how to fix it. He Will have to take it up with Chrysler. He offered to start a lemon law case for me. What a nightmare.

Does anybody have any experience with this sort of issue on the widebody suspensions? The dealership has limited experience

Thank you.

8. stingray

tIME to get a Toyota 6 spd. hatchback.:33::snoopfacepalm::hmmm2::iranmaybe:

9. Sparky

Sparky Member

Funny you should mention that. The last new car I bought was a 2009 Toyota Matrix, which now has 215,000 miles on it. It’s never needed an alignment, or a clutch. Thinking about getting the three cylinder turbo charged version when it comes out this year. If I can ever get this Challenger booger off my finger.

10. stingray

You mean sell the brand new Challenger? I don't think that 3 cylinder turbo will be a comfortable car to drive like a Challenger. But it will be much more RELIABLE. Though turbocharger when it needs to be replaced will cost a lot of $$$. Makes me wonder how are the Honda Civics with Turbo engines are doing. I noticed reliability of Hondas have owned and so I wonder if that is because of the turbo charger?

:facepalm::poker: