Norwalk, OH Hemi Shootout T&T rounds.

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by gostro, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

There's got to be some place where they have waste heat they are combatting where it is cold, maybe near a deep mine?

Then you could have hot tarmac and cold, cold intake temps. :D

I like thermodynamics and engineering. Keeping the tires warm in the cold air blast would be a concern, also, I think.

gostro likes this.
  2. Moparisto

There's a reason there is no such words as "underkill."

If you underkill something, it ain't dead. Some ideas only point out reasonable options by being total overkill.

Take Top Fuel, for example. Nitromethane is stupidly fast just naturally aspirated, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO, they had to slap some 6-71 blowers on top of them, too.

There are guys who mopped up in Top Alcohol Dragster by using nitromethane and NO blower. (It is allowable in the rules.)

But, hey, by going for overkill, we got both T/AD and T/FD.

gostro likes this.
  3. bobbymac

bobbymac Full Access Member

Gostro, If you get this please reply...
    Raced the 1/8 twice - felt like a beginner. Did a 9 which was chit. Will add I had small tire Hoosier slicks on... 10x18... I did 9's with my 67 396 elco back in the 60's... Next season I hope to get in the 8's at least...
    Question-- Read in the 1320 section of the factory book that second gear is low enough to start off at a light or stop sign... Can you start in second at the track????
    Have to mention the rear sway bar has to be lowered on our 1320's to enable 18 inch wheels.... bobbymac

gostro likes this.
  4. gostro

gostro Full Access Member

Bobby -

Yes, if you go 17 or 18" on the rear, you need the shortened sway bar end links. There's also a 15" brake conversion kit, I believe, if you really wanna go with some meats on the rear. As far as the sway bar end links, just about everywhere has them. I'll likely be switching to 17's out back and skinnies up front sometime next year. 9 in the 1/8th is a little on the slow side, but you could've spun a bit maybe. I was in the 7's last time I ran the 1/8th. Can't remember exactly, I'd have to look back at my slips but I think it was high 7's... And yes, you can launch in 2nd. If you're spinning at all, I'd say that'll help for sure. Of course, track prep and temperature also have a lot to do with that. Might just be partly track prep and October weather. But, yeah, to answer your question you can totally launch in 2nd.

bobbymac likes this.
  5. Moparisto

Depending on your budget and warranty inclinations, without increasing the torque at all, by revving it higher, you can get Moar Power, shift it later, etc. I think the Hellcat motor is good for 6500 RPM or more stock, but, hey, with a set of stiffer springs and some titanium retainers, you could easily visit 7000 once in a while.

I found from this video that if a humble stock LADA can spin its pistons to 10,000 RPM, the limiting factor to a Hellcat doing it sure ain't the rods and pistons.

6. Moparisto

This is the equivalent of bringing live feeds from the battlefield!

Thanks for the video!

That's so nice to watch. I like how civilized and gentlemanly the cars are as they dip deep into the 12's.

BTW, if you go with 15's, say goodbye to EVER needing more traction.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    gostro likes this.
  7. bobbymac

8. bobbymac

Hi guy, little late on this but love the rap with you... Please excuse me if I repeat myself. Be 79 too soon....
    I know about the 15in brake kit... Not ready for that - I use my 1320 on the street with the rear tires it came with ( street DOT slicks) and 245's on the front... If you did your times with original DOT slicks you are doing great in my book...
    Moons ago I did the 1/8 mile with 7 inch tires. I put 7 inch slicks on and took the 68 SS 396 off the line... I had a 4.11 posi rear... He beat me to the W. No race ticket for the losers back then...
    Didn't know much about cheating in the 60's....
    I prefer stock. In the old days - timing, new carb, and tires and rims were about it. To change rear ends was too expensive... Thats my story for the old days....

I thank you for all the info. I know little about these new factory hot rods.... Will the 1320 take 17's on the rear?? With the lowering of the rear sway bar???? Not gonna put 17 on it and for sure. Might if I live that long. Right now I am doing what I let go for street racing. Lat tracks were Islip speed way 1/8 track. And long gone the 1/4 out far east on long island...

Nice em-ing you bobbymac

9. gostro

gostro Full Access Member

Yeah Bobby you can do 17's on the rear. That's what I plan on doing. I really didn't wanna mess with the 15" brake conversion kit. With the 17's, you still have to do the shortened sway bar links, but that's it. By the way, I ran a new personal best 11.896 @ 114.92 in st louis earlier this spring. All I did was remove the seats. Got my needed 1/10th of a second. Dropped 103.6 lbs of weight by doing so. I would've uploaded the videos, but I haven't even gotten them off the camera yet.