Old Mopar fan stepping into the 21st century

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Allan, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Allan

Allan New Member

Hi everyone.

I'm in my 40's and have loved the older Chryslers since I drove them as a teen. Here's my story.

1980’s:

My 2nd car was a '72 Charger 318 w/ no power options other than steering. It was replaced with a better condition blue '72 318 which was the recipient of my first big block swap (383). Actually my first engine swap of any sort. Also the first transmission replacement job I did when it had the 904 attached to the 318. Cut my automotive teeth with that car. Never had a ballast resistor failure... Anyway, a '71 Challenger was purchased as a companion car. You had to own more than one Mopar back then, right? Fairly peppy 318 2bbl with a 904 Torqueflite was upgraded to a rebuilt 383 Magnum/727. Also had a ’71 Charger RT with the wrong engine for a short while and then sold it all off. “Becoming an adult” priorities thing…

(Still managed to keep a 440 block w/ crank and pair of 915 cylinder heads after all these years.)

Early 90’s – 2000’s:

I drove Thunderbirds, primarily those of the MN12 chassis. I had a 5-speed Supercoupe and a 4.6L LX. Still have my first ’92 5.0L Sport. Being 2-door, rear wheel drive intermediate size cars, they were the closest I could get to a modern version of my old blue ’72 Charger. Many times I thought these Fords were close to what Chrysler might have done if the RWD infrastructure were still in place during this period.

Now:

I’m driving nothing remarkable these days. Have test driven a 6-speed RT and a 6-speed Scat Pack, both 2015 models. I think I’m finally ready to buy one of these. A low-mileage, used SRT392 might just do the trick.

Thanks for reading my dissertation.

Mopar to you!

-Allan

Wizard of Iz, 10DYRT and BurntRT like this.
  2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Do it.

I’m a little older, but we’ve walked a similar path. I took my driver’s test in my Mom’s ‘72 Charger (318) and my first car was a ‘68 Charger R/T (440/727).

I even owned one Ford - a ‘90 Thunderbird Super Coupe - along the way before a string of Pontiacs. My ‘05 GTO was one of m6 all time favorite cars.

We came back to Dodge when my wife wanted a 2007 Charger R/T. That led to a 2013 Charger R/T for her and a used 2011 Challenger R/T Classic for me.

I missed my 2011 after trading it and just bought a super low miles 2015 Challenger SRT a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. BurntRT

BurntRT Active Member

Welcome to the Forumn. I still have a Pontiac laying around. 1999 low miles Trans am. Was that 05 Goat an LS1? I am also new here and just bought a 2013 Challenger R/T Redline. It is awesome but I know already that it will one day be traded in to step up from the 345 to the 392 lol.

OOPS! Kinda blended my response to both of you.

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  4. Wizard of Iz

My ‘05 GTO had the LS2. 400 hp and 400 lb ft of torque. It was s great car.

I still think it had the most comfortable seats of any car I’ve owned. Just the right combination of support and comfort.

410grove and BurntRT like this.
  5. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

well I am a lot older than you .at 62, I could never afford a good mopar back in the 70's, always bought cheap Chevy, buy one for a $1000 and sell it for $1000. 1966 Nova SS, 1967 Nova (6 cyl.) 1967 Camaro Z28, 1067 Impala SS, 77 Monte Carlo Landau.
    first dodge for me was a 75 Van with a 318 with 3 on the tree. put zoomies on that thing and trucked on, but my first modern one was a 2009 Challenger SE, and 2 years later I got a 2009 RT. its paid for and not getting rid if it unless someone comes up with the right amount of cash.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    BurntRT and Wizard of Iz like this.
  6. Wizard of Iz

There's a good number of us "experienced" Mopar owners hanging around. I'll be 59 in March.

BurntRT likes this.
  7. Allan

Allan New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I will get one soon I hope.

Side note, my electrician buddy I worked with bought an '05 GTO new. That was on heck of a car. Aussies knew what they were doing! Wish they kept making them. Coulda used the Monaro name when they phased out Pontiac...

8. Wizard of Iz

I had a 2016 Chevy SS that was also made by Holden in Australia. Loved the LS3. Loved the bi-modal exhaust. Loved the suspension. Loved the interior -- for the most part. Hated the infotainment system, lack of rear seat cup holders, lack of fold down rear seats. And I wasn't crazy about the staggered tire size that meant that I couldn't rotate front to rear.

Made it an easy decision regarding what to trade in on a '17 Durango R/T for my wife.

IntimidatorRT likes this.
  9. 410grove

410grove New Member

I have an 06 GTO blue on blue 6 sp. one of most comfortable cars I have owned. Looking to add Scat Pack Shaker to stable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wizard of Iz likes this.