Old Tires

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Dec 18, 2020.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

I've been hearing about this 6-year service life for a LONG time. Until now, I've never taken it seriously. The change isn't because I believe tires should be replaced after 6-years but because in our ever increasingly litigious society, the time has probably come that some companies will look to take advantage of the situation causing vehicle owners some (in my opinion) unnecessary out of pocket expenses.
    The article references the "Ford Explorer/Firestone tire" episode years ago. This is completely unwarranted since that situation had nothing to do with tire failure due to age.
    That whole issue was due to two main things:
    1. Firestone built a mediocre tire
    2. Ford specified a dangerously low tire pressure
    Bottom line, I won't be changing tires at the 6-year mark just "because" but I can see how some people will likely get taken advantage of by either unscrupulous businesses or ones that truly are afraid of the liability issue. Either way, the consumer loses.

3. SRT-Tom

Tires do have a shelf life. Tire Rack says 6 years in use or 10 years from build time frame (see link below). Most owners don't have to worry about this because they replace tires about every 3-4 years due to tread wear.

Tires are subject to a process called oxidation, whereby oxygen interacts with compounds in the rubber causing them to harden and eventually become brittle. As the rubber oxidization increases over time, tire performance decreases.

I had the original Goodyear Eagle F1 all-season tires (245/45-20) on my SRT. Even though I had low mileage on them, I replaced them after 7 years because small cuts were starting to show up in the sidewalls.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/What Age Should Tires Be Replaced

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  4. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Oxidation occurs in virtually everything that is exposed to the environment. Every part of your car suffers from oxidation. The rubber in your tires are not alone in this, and do not suffer from it in any sort of accelerated way. That being said, should you not want to do routine inspections of your tires, or suffer from a failure due strictly to component age, utilizing a time and/or mileage-based replacement procedure is fine. In the fleet industry we did just that with many components due not only to safety concerns but also the compounded cost of break-down/down-time.
    From your own article:
    "The rubber trade association, as well as Michelin and Continental, said tires can be safely used for up to 10 years, provided the tread is not worn and there is no visible dry rot."
    The point I was trying to make is that the whole "6-year" service life is a rather arbitrary one that's not even supported by the whole tire industry. My feeling is that it is being promoted by those with an obvious agenda. In reality, 6-years is probably longer than most people would be keeping tires and therefore 10-years ( a more reasonable service life) narrows that group even more.
    I would support an industry wide rule stating that 10 years is the maximum service life but not 6 years. The number of people affected by a 10-year rule would be quite small (collectors, trailers, cars kept at vacation homes, etc.) and in the end you'd likely be forcing them to replace questionable tires anyway.

STEVEN NIX likes this.
  5. SRT-Tom

The National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) defers to carmakers and tire manufacturers about aged tires:

"As tires age, they are more prone to failure. Some vehicle and tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires that are six to 10 years old, regardless of treadwear. You can determine how old your tire is by looking on the sidewall for your DOT Tire Identification Number (TIN) . The last four digits of the TIN indicate the week and year the tire was made. If the TIN reads 0308 it was made in the third week of 2008. Look on both sides of the tire. The TIN may not be on both sides."

The average life of a tire is determined by the conditions a tire is exposed to throughout its life. Temperature changes, sun exposure, storage conditions, usage, and maintenance schedules all contribute to the rate at which a tire ages. That's why a range is given in years.

Exterior bulges, cracks and tread wear are plainly visible, but cracks, due to aging, inside the tire are impossible to see. I'd rather be safe and replace aged tires in 6 years, rather than to try to squeeze another 2 or 3 years out of them.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  6. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

well, I can always tell when it is time for a tire change. the ride starts to get a little rougher as time wears on. I have already had my tires on my car for 5 years. I only put about 5,000 a year on it and it is garage kept. BUT , I usually keep a keen eye on them and every time the car get washed and detailed I take a good look to see if I can spot any cracks or dry rot. any ways, my next set I will be going a size larger than the 245/45/20 that is on it now.