One year later I'm still reaching for the PREMIUM gas pump.

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by NC20RT, Nov 26, 2021.

1. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Old habits die hard. I find myself still reaching for the premium pump at the local gas stations. I catch myself in time but mid-grade seems so unusual to me still. :think: I did accidentally buy premium on two occasions when the car was rather new but no big deal, just a waste of $$$.

Perhaps I'm thinking back to my old V8 Plymouths I used to own or perhaps it's the '01 Trans Am I've owned since new that requires premium fuel. Who knows??

I certainly did not buy my R/T with gas considerations in mind, and I would not care if premium was required, but there is no need to spend the extra $$. It doesn't help when someone starts gabbing at you the minute you roll in. So many :waytogo: comments. That's a good thing but I wish they could wait until the nozzle is in the tank. :emotions34:

2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I feel your pain and frequently reach for the wrong button on the pump. My '15 Challenger SRT 392 uses 93 octane. Our '17 Durango R/T uses 89 octane. And ... my "daily" '05 Monte Carlo LS uses 87 octane.

And your post made me think of how many cars I've owned that used premium ... my '16 Chevy SS, my '05 GTO, my '99 Grand Prix GTP, my '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe, and even my '84 Chrysler Laser XE. And of course my '68 Charger R/T got a steady diet of high-end Amoco and/or Sunoco back in the mid-'70s. Especially for its Friday night trips to "Mexico."

NC20RT likes this.
  3. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

I don't think you're benefitting from octane beyond 91 in the Challenger.

4. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

The overwhelming majority of the stations in Florida only offer 87, 89, or 93. I've seen a few - very few - Citgo stations offer 91 and 93 but none of those were here in Jacksonville.

5. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Interesting. I cross the border from the Vancouver area into Blaine, Wash to buy 92 for less than 87 on my side!

6. Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran Full Access Member

Better than the other way around IHO. Reaching for 87 instead of 89.

NC20RT likes this.
  7. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I use Valero- a top tier gasoline- in my 2009 SRT. It runs great on the 93 octane.

8. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Same octanes all over the southeastern US apparently. When we took our Rte 66 trip in the Trans Am this past Spring, many western stations only had 91 as the top octane, and the T/A pinged. Made me feel fortunate to live in an area with 93 still.

Mexico??? :roflbow: I have to laugh at those YouTube disclaimers.

9. FullThrottle64

FullThrottle64 Member

Yeah my Scat Pack uses premium, so out of habit the other day I filled up my farm truck (a '97 Ranger 2.3l) with premium - complete waste of money. It happens.

10. mikeT

mikeT Full Access Member

Is premium suggested?