Remote starting with 2 FOBs? Does it work?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by 22 SRT+, Feb 2, 2023.

1. 22 SRT+

22 SRT+ Member

Hi all, I remote started my new 22 SXT from inside my house with my backup FOB (where I keep spare keys). When I went to the car, I had the other FOB I use everyday. When I got in the car, I couldn't push the start button or do anything (shift, turn off the car, nothing) as the car was running. Didn't know what to do! I thought maybe the "everyday FOB" was busted, so I went back into the house and got the spare FOB I used to remote start from inside the house. Using that FOB I was able to push in the start button and shift and go. So......does that mean when using a FOB for remote start, that same FOB must be in the vehicle to get it to go, and the other FOB won't allow you to proceed? Or.....do I have a FOB problem? Thanks!

2. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

It sounds like that is exactly the case. I think it communicates with the in-car fob, and if it doesn't match the fob used to start the car, it says, "Whoah, here, we may have a counterfeiter."

3. 22 SRT+

22 SRT+ Member

Makes sense. Im going to have to experiment!

4. Mfknjadagr8

Mfknjadagr8 Full Access Member

I can confirm this and if your other fob is inside the car it will not remote start. My gf forgot and left her purse in the car with the fob in it in our driveway and I couldn't remote start at all it cancels immediately.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

5. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

My favorite one was when I went to close the trunk when I had left the fob in the trunk, and it would not latch. I realized after the trunk would not latch that I didn't have the fob in my pocket, and there it was in the pile of stuff I had just dumped into the trunk.

I had no idea how the car figured out that the fob was in the trunk, but I'm sure glad it did.