Replace Rotors with New Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Jan 1, 2021.

1. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

That's what I am looking at.....just have to decide if I am gonna stay with 2 piece rotors up front, or save 500 bones & go 1 piece......

2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

When it comes time to replace my brakes I intend to keep the factory setup. LOVE my brakes!

3. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

Well, from what I've been told from those who did it, can't tell the difference in factory or not except for the brake dust.

I have no real need for 2 piece rotors....and I refuse to pay what they want for actual Brembo parts when i can get the same performance for 1/2 the cost.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I agree with you as far as street performance is concerned. However, if you plan to race your car under extreme conditions, like autocross, Brembos are superior. Did you notice that they are on most exotic supercars, like the Ferrari 488 GTB?

Dodge specified Brembo brakes on the 2008 Challenger SRT because its pads use a specific friction material that ensures constant friction at all temperature ranges. They offer the following advantages:

1. Outstanding performance even without warming up and at low speeds.

2. Outstanding quietness and reduced disc and pad wear.

3. Exceptional brake pedal precision, for total control of the braking force.

4. They can withstand high temperatures, up to 1,112 °F (Note- they work best at
    temperatures between 392 and 572 °F,

5. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

Agree, but I see no need for my old fat butt to try and race my car around a twisty turny piece of road.....it's all my body can take to just drive in track mode for very long.......

As it is now, I find myself often looking in the rearview mirror to see how close the idiot behind me is before I try to stop quickly for the light that just changed.

These cars can stop like RIGHT NOW, and if the person behind you isn't paying attention, you'll be stopped before they even touch the brake pedal.

(nice to see someone else is getting old too.....I see you tried to correct my spelling, and you messed it up too.........:D. I fixed it in the original)

B5blueRT likes this.
  6. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Brembo carbon ceramic rotors are responsible for the continuing vibration issues experienced by C6 ZR1 owners.

7. Katshot

And that has what to do with our Challengers?

8. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Very significant and unexpected issue which may apply to other applications. Would research extensively before spending big $. Why participate if you're not interested in learning something?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  9. Katshot

Couldn't agree more...as long as the actual components are the root cause of the problem and said components are used on another application. My point was that those components are not used on our Challengers so why would it concern us?

10. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Maybe you'd want to tell your Corvette buddy that you bought your house from?