Reverse wiring...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by LEGENDARY70, Sep 29, 2020.

1. LEGENDARY70

LEGENDARY70 Full Access Member

Hello.

I am trying to install a reverse camera. I need to find the wiring that goes to the reverse lights. where can i find the wiring? and is it a certain color? thx

2010 challenger

2. LEGENDARY70

what exactly does this mean?

As a former installer with 10+ years of experience. I'd go off the ignition harness. Add your own in line fuse. Boom.

3. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

I can look tonight to see if I have a schematic at home.

4. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

If a backup camera was an option on the 2010 cars I'd be surprised if the harness in your car didn't already have a circuit for it. If not, bummer unless it's wireless I guess.

5. 2017 Redline HC

That’s what I was wondering. My 2010 did not have a camera but I’m pretty sure it was an option.

6. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Many times, OEM's utilize a common main harness and then just add the accessory during assembly or even at the dealership. Case in point; I bought a '92 Pontiac Formula because I didn't like the Trans Am. I had the dealership install a Katzkin leather interior and I added factory fog lights (weren't an option on the Formula) and changed the tri-color tail lights to the smoked Trans Am ones. The Trans Am parts mounted perfectly and at least the fog lights were plug-and-play. I had to make a small custom harness for the tail lamps. I've utilized this many times over the years.

7. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a 2009 with the touch screen radio, it did not have a back up cam, but I bought a lock pick system from a fellow owner and installed it in my car, it consisted of the radio plug in so the radio would give me the back up screen, and all the wiring to run from the radio back to the license plate. where the camera is mounted. All I had to do is just go into the radio set up and turn on the camera.

it also lets me play DVD's while driving too. ;)

8. LEGENDARY70

thx. but i am still trying to find out the color of the wire to the reverse lights?

9. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

A backup plan if you can't locate the correct wire at the dash...
    Maybe I'm over simplifying but since the camera mounts at the rear of the car, can't you tap into the hot lead going to one of the backup lights? I wouldn't think there's much of a voltage drop and current draw shouldn't be that significant. Or at least trace that wire/color from the lamp back to the interior my following the wiring harness to where it plugs in under the dash.

10. 2017 Redline HC

4F2E72D9-A781-436D-8516-9781E4801CB7.jpeg Looks like the wire is white with light green stripe leaving the TIPM from post 16. This was an on line manual I found and can not vouch for its accuracy.