Shocks and springs

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Mike15, May 7, 2021.

1. Mike15

Mike15 Member

I need to change my shocks and springs on my 15 sxt and was wondering what to buy to make the ride smoother it seems pretty rough right now,any ideas would help

2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Just curious why you would think you need to change your Springs?
    Shocks yes, but people usually only change the springs if they want to LOWER the ride height or stiffer for cornering.
    Also curious why an sxt would seems pretty rough?

I bought the SRT for the stiffness of the suspension so I didn't need to upgrade.

Did someone tell you that you needed to change them?
    If so, I would look for a new mechanic, or new friends.

Just saying.

3. Mike15

Mike15 Member

I can feel every little bump in the road,And it starting to bang in the rear, it has 75000 miles, I thought it would be easier just to change both

4. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Just a thought, if you are hearing a BANG you may have a broken suspension part like a sway bar bracket.

At 75k I guess you could change the shocks, but should be fine unless you see one leaking.
    To save money, you could remove them and TEST them by compressing the shock and seeing if they smoothly extend? Guessing the SXT is using a nitrogen filled shock.

5. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Do you have a SXT Plus with 20" wheels instead of the 18"? The 20" wheels will give a stiffer ride. I notice a difference when I run my 18" winter wheels/tires than my 20" summer combo.

6. Mike15

Mike15 Member

Yes I got 20’s, it just seams like when I Go over a bump the rearend drops, like it stay in the air then bangs when it hits, if that makes sense

7. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Like 70-426_10-SRT mentioned, look at your rear shocks. Going with a softer one may help, an adjustable shock might be able to dial down enough. Any reputable performance shops around you to get an opinion? Or stop in a Dodge dealership and talk to the part manager...

8. Mike15

Mike15 Member

Ok thanks