Shop did something wrong...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by LEGENDARY70, Oct 26, 2022.

1. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

Supposedly you drive 40-50 mph then press the brakes hard until you slow down to 20 mph, repeat 4or5 times. This is I guess a new pad rotor break in. Though not easy to find a location where you can drive like a ass.. How many repair shops do you think do this.

2. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

:facepalm::snoopfacepalm:Here everyone drives like an ass.

HellKitten likes this.
  3. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Interesting that they've now been bled twice (before you left the first time you assisted with the bleed) and again upon returning. I say interesting because I never bleed when replacing pads and rotors (bleeding only required when changing caliper).

LEGENDARY70 likes this.
  4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I doubt the shop bled the brakes on the initial visit when the pads were replaced. I agree that you don't need to bleed the brakes on a pad replacement, even with replacing the rotors. It's only required if brake fluid was lost by something like cracking open a brake line or bleeder nut or if the entire caliper was replaced. When replacing the pads you have to push the caliper pistons back into the caliper so the new pads can be slide into place. I think the several pumps of the pedal that Legendary70 did were to bring the calipers back out and in position with the rotor. I'm surprised the shop didn't do that which says they didn't test drive it either before giving it back.

LEGENDARY70 likes this.
  5. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Odd because after pushing caliper piston back into bore (with master cylinder cap removed) I've never had an application that resulted in more than a partial pedal travel on first pump before becoming firm again, where as he describes 6-10 pedal pushes which rings true with a bleed of an open system. Anyone living in the area should perhaps avoid brake service at this shop, as well as the one in my neighborhood where they placed the customers new pads metal side in contact with rotors.:)

LEGENDARY70 and B5blueRT like this.