So You've Been Thinking About Getting an EV...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by 68MOPAR, Jul 4, 2021.

1. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/01/tesla-model-s-plaid-caught-fire-while-being-driven-fire-chief.html

Earlier this weekend the owner of the vehicle's lawyer spoke out, claiming the vehicle "burst into flames while the owner was driving" it. The driver of the vehicle has been identified as an "executive entrepreneur" who is being represented by Mark Geragos, of Geragos & Geragos.

Geragos said that the driver wasn't initially able to get out of the vehicle because its "electronic door system failed", requiring the driver to push and use force to open the door.

He said the car moved for 35 to 40 feet before "turning into a fireball". He called it a "harrowing and horrifying experience".

"This is a brand new model... We are doing an investigation. We are calling for the S Plaid to be grounded, not to be on the road until we get to the bottom of this," Geragos said.

A separate source reported that the Tesla belonged to a top executive at one of Tesla's biggest investors. The driver was identified in that report as Bart Smith, also called the "Crypto King" by CNBC, who works as the head of the digital asset group at trading firm Susquehanna International.

Susquehanna owned about $1.1 billion worth of Tesla shares as of March 31, the report noted.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/m...-while-driver-was-wheel-local-fire-chief-says

o_O

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    NC20RT likes this.
  2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

I know this is evil for the greenies out there but I truly want this electric car rollout for the masses to fall on it's ass.
    :lazer:

3. Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran Full Access Member

I remember an old guy died in a ICE Corvette because the electronic locks failed and he did not know how to manually open the door. And this was sitting in his garage. Maybe a different circumstance, gut read those owners manuals

Darrell Feit likes this.
  4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I agree, the full electrics aren't ready for prime time yet for a bunch of reasons. I still think, at best, an improved hybrid is a better solution. Run 100% on electric but have a small combustion engine charge the batteries to eliminate distance limitations.

5. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

No hybrids - no EV's... ICE via hydrogen.

6. mikeT

mikeT Full Access Member

Internal combustion vehicles are going to be around for a long time, don't tell me so and so car makers said they are going stop selling IC vehicles by 20??. That doesn't meen they will be outlawed on our highways.

7. Graham

Graham Member

There was a fella in I think Philippines, a good number of years ago, who came up with a way to run a "normal" combustion engine off hydrogen, split from some kind of electrolysis of water. The project was called "water car" lots of folks were saying it was fake... but then he "died" under very questionable circumstances... and it disappeared without a trace.

Then again more recently... https://www.gaia.com/article/the-mysterious-death-of-stanley-meyer-and-his-water-powered-car

8. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

That article on the water powered car was interesting, it make you wonder....
    Not sure in anyone has seen this YouTube video - Dodge's plan to go electric in 2024. The Hemmings article I got for this stated to look for the teaser of the new vehicle around the 3:50 mark of the video.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  9. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

While i despise the whole "Must Go Electric to Save the World" BS
    I do see myself building a Classic with Electric Motors at some point

Here is a Link to a Friends 1200 Datsun
    The White Zombie

As of Sept. 2010 White Zombie set a quarter-mile record 10.258 @ 123.79 mph
    https://theroadelectric.com/beyond-the-zombie/

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  10. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The shape of the new car looks like a Challenger.