Some more drag race videos with a trans brake "fail", for good measure!

Discussion in 'Track Talk' started by gostro, Oct 18, 2021.

1. gostro

gostro Full Access Member

Yeah, the main thing is if you're happy with the car! This track is only about 1 hour from me, so that's a plus! Earlier in the summer, at the other events I went to, I drove two to four hours away. Nice to be close to home for these. There used to be a place within 25 minutes from me, but it closed unfortunately. Bunch of whiners about the noise, that built their houses knowingly next to a drag strip helped to get it shut down. I'm unsure if I'll supercharge mine or not. Maybe not till it's out of warranty. Part of me really wants to. The other part of me thinks there's a lot of value to leaving this car stock, as it's a pretty limited model in terms of production numbers.

2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

I enjoy your videos as they bring back some nice memories of my early years in FL.

Very cool about the LS3 Corvette as I had an '09 that I sold to get my Challenger. Extremely quick car and that's an understatement.

2009 Corvette 010 (2).JPG

Cloverdale and gostro like this.
  3. gostro

Very nice vette you had, there! My dad actually bought his, "sight unseen", out of Naples, Florida. Had it delivered here to Indiana. It is indeed one hell of a fast car!

NC20RT likes this.
  4. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I bought my Challenger to have until I die, and I've put more money into it than I paid for it. To some that would be idiotic, but I enjoy what I drive and everything about it is how I want it. To each their own. It would definitely be different if I bought a car to have a few years until I bought a different car.

gostro likes this.
  5. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

The ZR1's are the fast ones (the asking prices on the C6 Zr1's has suddenly jumped locally over 30%).

gostro likes this.
  6. bobbymac

bobbymac Full Access Member

Have a couple questions

7. gostro

What's your questions?

8. bobbymac

bobbymac Full Access Member

Have a couple of questions... Do you use any kind of octane booster??? I see from the pictures that you have the street radial kind of slicks on the front...Do you drag with them on? I put 245's on the front of mine. Have a 21 1320 with the leather seats. Hoping for low 12's when I make it to the track. Considering the weight of all the seats I doubt my car will see the 11's. Don't really care, I'll go down the track with the A/C on if its hot... LOL bobbymac

9. gostro

Car is all stock, Bobby. Factory wheels, with the original 275 40R/20 Nexen drag radials on them. I also have all my seats in and mine are the heated/cooled nappa leather/Alcantara seats. Any octane booster, from what I've read, wouldn't do much without a tune to take advantage of any added octane. Something like that might be useful, though, if you couldn't get full premium gas and were in a pinch to fill up. I run 93 octane all the time in mine.

Being that your car sounds similarly-optioned to mine, I don't see why you can't get into the 11's. My best ET thus far is 11.974, at 112.8 mph I believe it was. I still think it can go faster, even without changing a thing. If you expect mid 12's starting out, you won't be disappointed. When you do go, make sure you air your rear tires down to around 20 psi, to get more surface area and increase traction. Otherwise, you'll likely be spinning your wheels, quite literally, when you go to take off from the line. Also, air the fronts up to the max PSI, to give you less rolling resistance. And definitely don't put the A/C on, lol!

I'm not sure if you were just joking or not, but just in case - That's a big no-no and you likely will get yelled at if they see you. They don't even want you to have it on while you're driving to, or sitting in, the staging lanes. You just gotta tough it out lol. Last thing you wanna do is put water down the length of the track. That could be very dangerous for the racers after you.

NC20RT likes this.
  10. gostro

Oh and try to keep your fuel level at 1/4 tank when you go. You should be able to get a good 3-5 runs down the track, at 1/4 tank.