Tell Your Story

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by SRT-Tom, Oct 4, 2013.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

We all have a story about how we bought our Challenger. Here is mine:

My story starts with the sale of my beloved 1971 340 'Cuda. At the time, we needed a car with A/C and a big trunk for my new daughter. The saddest day in my life was when the buyer drove my car away.

Several years later, my son told me he read an article about a Dodge Challenger concept. This really peaked my interest and I started reading everything I could about this car. When Dodge decided to turn the 2006 concept into a production car, I knew that I had to own one! The 2008 production car did not disappoint!

After I saw it in person at the Philadelphia Auto Show, in February 2008, I thought that my 'Cuda was reborn. I learned that there was a Dodge dealer, Champion Dodge, discounting new Challengers by $1,200 (most dealers were charging in excess of MSRP due to the demand). In May 2008, I called the dealer and gave him a $500 deposit for a hemi-orange 2009 Challenger SRT.

After waiting, 5 long months for my car to be built, I found out that my order had been cancelled. WHAT???

I immediately called the dealer and was greeted with this voice mail message, "We regret to inform you that Champion Dodge is no longer in business. If you have a vehicle in our garage, please call the following number to make arrangements to pick it up." IS THIS A BAD DREAM??

I was really low at the time because I had wasted 5 months and was back at "square one" minus $500 (I later disputed the credit card charge and, luckily, had it reversed). However, Bob Frederick, a "go-to" dealer in Ohio came to my rescue. He had two hemi-orange SRTs on order and suggested that I contact him. After speaking to Bob on October 30, I bought my Challenger for MSRP and had it delivered to my home on December 13, 2008. The entire ordeal took 7 months, but it was worth it.

My wife, however, had hoped, after my initial order was cancelled, that I would give up. No. way. She wanted the money spent on a new kitchen and bathroom for our house. In fact, one of my neighbors, to this day, calls my car "Kathy's Kitchen!"

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  2. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

I have always been a muscle car fan. My first car was a '71 Torino 500 that I purchased off of a "little old lady" for $200. I was 17. I had too much of my drag racing father in me and I abused the heck out of that car. I built the engine 3 times and the trans twice. My best time was a 12.86@114. After the 3rd blown engine, I purchased a '63 Impala sport coupe. I restored that for shows and kept it fairly tame. Being in Wisconsin, I needed a "winter beater". I found a 1973 Plymouth Satellite ex-state patrol car for $200. That started my Mopar addiction. No matter how much abuse my 19 year old attitude could give her, she still wanted more.

I moved around the country working for the next 20 years. During that time, I got into the import scene with a Nissan Hardbody pickup that I swapped a turbo'd 2.0L.

In 2002 I got back to Mopar with a Sebring. I only had her for 15 months before downsizing forced me to sell. I purchased a $1500 Nissan Maxima. To keep my mind and hands occupied, I spent the next 5 years and countless thousands turning that car into a trophied "best 3rd generation" at the national Nissan Maxima meet. Nice car, but no Mopar.

Then a friend of mine called me up and asked if I could help him sell a car that had been sitting in his garage for 5 years. The car? A 74,000 mile survivor plum crazy purple 1972 Challenger. How did I help? I bought it. It needed a trans rebuild and a good thorough cleaning. I spent a few weekends and about $300 getting her in great shape. My friend was really hurting for cash after his wife passed, so I sold the '72 for a nice $7000 profit. I gave him half of the profit. It was tough seeing that car go on the transport. I always loved the '72-74 Challengers, and the plum crazy purple just speaks to me.

When the new Challenger concept came out, I liked it but didn't like the colors. I was on challengertalk.com back then too (2007) and made the statement "I will buy one ONLY if they come out in plum crazy". 2008..nope. 2009...nope. I saw a few at local cruises and was like....meh

Fast forward to February, 2011. I was looking for a new car. I didn't have anything in mind. I looked at everything, then one night doing an internet search I saw a picture of a modern Challenger in plum crazy purple...WHAT???

I then discovered the press releases about this "limited edition color" and became obsessed with finding one. I was able to find quite a few still sitting on lots across the country, but all were automatics. I wanted a 6speed. I found a 6speed SRT8 in Texas that I really liked. But getting the dealer to negotiate proved to be a hassle. So I contacted a guy that I knew who sold Nissans and asked him if he could do something. He contacted the dealer about the SRT and told me "screw him, he won't even negotiate with me. Give me a few days and I will find you one"

Two days later he called me and said "your car will be here Saturday. It is one of the last new plum crazy 6-speeds made". That Saturday I drove home in my baby.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. Rod_R

Rod_R Full Access Member

Great stories. My story is very lame but will share anyway. I'd never owned a new car...or one worth owning. I drove a Grand Am for the longest time and needed it to keep going so I could save for MY car. Not a family car or a dependable or fuel efficient car. One that I could call MY car. Just something I wanted. I couldn't have been more broke when my Grand Am crapped out. All I could afford was a Scion. Sigh...

I suffered for another six years, got a better job and started saving again to get rid of that stupid car. A guy on the Main Street of my neighborhood had a Plum Chally and I absolutely loved it. I looked and looked and looked for a deal and I found what seemed to be a dream car in San Antonio (about an hour away). I was so excited but by the time I got home from work, it was too late. The next morning (Saturday) I got up early and rushed to the dealership. Closed. I went to another dealership but they wouldn't match the price I'd gotten. So I had to wait until the next day. Once I got there, it took ten minutes to seal the deal. We hung out, had some hot dogs while we waited for the paperwork, and finally drove MY car home.

4. jmanSRT

jmanSRT Member

This is a great read. I feel I'm too young to have a story.. but I will find this thread and read more... great stories every1