The End Of The Internal Combustion Engine Vehicle

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by 68MOPAR, Jun 22, 2021.

1. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

Will it happen?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Eventually I'm afraid but I'm hoping not in my lifetime.
    I did read encouraging news out of California where 20% of electric car buyers plan to get gas powered cars again. The main reason was the lack of charging locations. Makes sense if you want to travel longer distances. I wonder how long it takes to re-charge anyway even if there are many charging locations. You can't be sitting around an hour or longer somewhere.

3. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

As long as the government leads the way to electric cars, we should be fine. Think about it. When did the government ever do anything right?
    Remember when America needed those TV boxtops to watch digital over the air TV(antenna) because all the networks were required to switch to digital TV broadcasts? The government promised to supply one to every family for free.... they ran out.
    When the pandemic hit, they realized a lot of urban schoolkids didn't have access to the internet so they funded programs to provide it for free. After implementing it they found there were still problems - same schoolkids didn't have a device to log onto the internet with.
    They didn't even have enough smarts to make these COVID 19 vaccine cards the same size as a credit card (and your other healthcare cards) so you can easily carry them in a wallet.
    So how long to think it'll take them to rebuild the electrical grid and add enough charging stations across the entire country?

Danomt and gostro like this.
  4. Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran Full Access Member

My guess is yes. Especially how hard companies and the government is pushing it.

I did read an article about it taking near 30,000 gallons of water to put out an EV fire and it takes about 300 for an ICE fire. I know it is not a deal killer but another kink, now they will have to carry water and some sort retardant. And who knows what that crap will be made out of and how bad it will be for the firefighters and the environment. I feel like they did not think this through very well.

5. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

Looks like lithium mining stocks might be a solid investment.

HellKitten likes this.
  6. arizonajack

arizonajack Full Access Member

The oil/gas industry won't allow the end of gasoline powered vehicles. They own too many politicians to allow that to happen.

An outright ban by the government would be about as successful as an outright ban on guns, which is also unlikely to happen.

Even if there was an outright ban on gasoline powered vehicles there will always be holdouts (instant criminals) like in The Last Chase.

The Last Chase (1981) - IMDb

The irony of that movie is that it's California that turns out to be the last haven against a totalitarian government.

Bring your cars, but don't bring your guns. :D

7. gostro

gostro Full Access Member

Doubt it will ever happen. 20, 30 years from now, it might be 50/50 mix. But, all this talk of the "death of the ICE" is mostly coming from tesla lovers/fanboys and their associated friendly media publications. Seems to me that there's a massive guilt trip/misinformation campaign to try to get people to believe all the hype. Yet, all the hype hasn't even come close to "hyping", Imho.

NC20RT likes this.