Thoughts from a Non-Challenger owner!

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by kurtcobain, Oct 24, 2017.

1. kurtcobain

kurtcobain New Member

Hi, my 520 AWHP 335XI recently ate a random shovel on the highway, and I was given the only car the rental car place had to give me at the time - a 2017 doge Challenger 5.7 Hemi. I thought I would share my experience with you guys from the viewpoint of someone with a totally different car...

Me and my best friend often talk about how aesthetically hideous we think the new doges are, the challenger being the worst - but also the charger, all of them. I've known many people who have owned various dodges - cars, trucks etc, that have fallen apart at least than 100k miles. So, the reputation of poor quality precedes dodge. However, I won't focus on that here.

The first thing I noticed was this car is MASSIVE. That's my biggest complaint has always been the size, even before ever driving one. I like a small, powerful car - my ideal automobile being the 911 Turbo, IF I could afford one lol. The Challenger is the complete opposite of this in every way lol. I can hardly even see the end of it. It's even longer in the front (or FEELS longer) than my C5 corvette did!

As for the weight... YES, it's a pig - a massive 4200+ pounds, the OPPOSITE of what you want in a sports car. Although also horrificly unreliable, I've always been a fan of the 93 RX7, though I'd never own one because it's a mazda and those are terribly unreliable. But I love the weight and looks of it.

I DO HAVE TO SAY... I'm very, very suprised that I don't "feel" the weight - a bit in corners, yes, but other than that they dealt with the weight quite well, even in braking.

The gas mileage is of course... ATROCIOUS. No need to even go there. Along with making around 520 all wheel horse power, my 335XI gets around 26 mpg around town, and over 30 on the highway.

The power... the power down low is very responsive - I'm guessing due to gearing(?) then falls off in the mid range and top end pretty quick, probably due to the massive weight. My 335 makes around 450 ft/lbs of torque at around 2300rpm. I was really suprised that this car revs so high! Shifting through the gears in NON-sport mode, it typically shifts at around 2500 or so. My 335XI is a manual, but I typically shift around 2200.

Handling - I'm not much of a handling guy, but I will say, I feel VERY disconnected from this car when driving it, like it's all over the road compared to my 335. In my car, I feel like it's doing EXACTLY what I want it to - like it's an extension of me, The size is almost PERFECT, although I'd like to shed around 500lbs. I did read this car will be offered with AWD but it's more geared toward snow and such. IMHO the hellcat is the car that should have AWD. SMH. When will American car makers learn that making the rear tires spin faster with more horsepower is not the answer? I've clocked my 335XI at 3.7 seconds before to 60. It's truly a BEAST from a dead stop.

aesthetics - This is subjective, but to me, this is the worst looking car on the road, just barely in front of the Camarao. I actually wouldn't mind the new Mustang much if it were smaller and had all wheel drive.

What did I like about this car? Honestly, nothing. if I had to dig really hard, I would say, the exhaust note is much nicer than the rapsy sounding mustang or the too-burbly camaro. The exhaust actually reminds me a LOT of my car, but much louder - WAY too loud. On a long drive it gets old quick!

Thanks

2. BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy Active Member

You really need to lay off the menthols...

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

jbitter_99 and raymond5527 like this.
  3. propilot74

propilot74 Member

Wow. I think I disagree with you on just about every point you try to make.
    I like big, and the Challenger is one of the MOST asthetically pleasing cars on the road IMHO.
    I guess we all have different opinions and tastes. I certainly don't share yours.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

raymond5527 likes this.
  4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

that there suggest you are not a Mopar guy, I have had mine Challenger Rt for almost 7 years, 92,000 miles on it and it is one of the most solid cars I have owned. so i would tend to disagree with you on all accounts, ,

raymond5527 and propilot74 like this.
  5. kurtcobain

kurtcobain New Member

Well then, you haven't had it for 100k have you? 92k is just broken in on a BMW... barely, in fact.

Why would someone WANT a big car? Can you give me one positive? The negatives are obvious and plentiful of course...

6. propilot74

propilot74 Member

I've driven plenty of BMWs. I'd never own one.
    BTW I currently own a Chrysler vehicle that has over 138000 on it and still going strong.
    Go spew your hate elsewhere.
    And bigger is just better. Especially when you're 6'4".

raymond5527 likes this.
  7. BrianandChrissy

Like he said, go elsewhere smokey...you and your tobacco breath aren't welcome here.

8. kurtcobain

kurtcobain New Member

it's funny how you talk about 138k like it's something special.... just broken in on a BMW. Every vehicle has weaknesses you just have to fix them. Like how almost all jap cars have to have the timing chain replaced or it will fry your whole motor... so I have a lexus and I changed the timing chain.

And the weakness on the 335 is the turbo charger made by mitsubishi... go figure.

Big i NOT always better, definitely not when talking about cars. The BMW 335 actually was rated very high for being able to accommodate tall people EVEN in the back seat.

Again I'm waiting for one good positive thing someone can say about the challenger... I'm waiting. I have seen none at all after driving this bohemoth for 2 weeks now.

9. propilot74

propilot74 Member

Go troll elsewhere. I never said 138k was special. I just proved your 100k theory wrong. The Challenger is big, it's roomy, and it looks better than most cars out there. All 3 are major positives for me, and probably every other Challenger owner. If you don't like it, take it back and exchange it for something else, we don't need your whining on here; and frankly, none of us give a crap what you think. Like I said before, everybody has different tastes and opinions when it comes to cars. We love our Challengers, you don't. If you're looking for someone to come even close to agreeing with you, you're probably on the wrong forum. Maybe you should try a BMW forum instead.

raymond5527 likes this.
  10. BrianandChrissy

Maybe kurtcobain should lay off the menthols too.