Transmission service, 2013 Challenger SXT

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Janning, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Janning

Janning Full Access Member

Whats the story on the transmission for a automatic 5sp, in the 6 cylinder 2013 Challenger SXT?
    (I know my hellcats is sealed - they say no service, lifetime as long as you never over heat it).

I just had the oil done on the SXT they wanted to do a transmission service, it has 47000 miles on it.
    I know nothing about the transmission on the SXT, whats recommended?

2. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Your owners manual should tell you at what mileage it needs to be done at. For sure fluids and filter would be done, possibly a new seal when they drop the pan. I’m sure others will have more to contribute.

3. Janning

Owners manual just says "inspect" ....at all the intervals that only go to 150,000. and yeah,,,,,,,any and every time you take of anything with a seal?......REPLACE.

4. 2017 Redline HC

This website says to replace auto trans fluid every 90,000 miles

https://www.northlakecjd.com/maintaining-your-napleton-northlake-dodge-challenger.htm

I also read a post on another site which makes sense to me, I do my own fluid changes, usually earlier than required;

“My suggestion is Never Flush, some flushing fluids can contain strong solvents which do not play nice with many of the new electronically controlled transmissions. These newer transmissions can be very sensitive to fluid type and level. When flushed, you can't remove the flushing fluid 100%, small amounts can be left behind. I have always serviced my transmissions with FACTORY FILTERS, FACTORY FLUIDS, and at 2 years or 24,000 miles. I have never had a complete transmission failure under 200,000 miles with the above service schedule. In those instances where I have purchased a used vehicle with higher mileage, I flush the system with factory fluid. This can be expensive but you are not introducing any fluid into the transmission that it wasn't designed for.
    I find it interesting that people will change the oil in the vehicles religiously but don't give there transmissions a second thought. In many respects your transmission works harder than your engine does.”

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  5. Janning

oh WOW....just found it.......says to change transmission filter and fluid at 100,000 miles......IF you are using as a police car, taxi or pulling a Trailer.....in other words, .if its jus a daily driver, lite driving ? Don't even worry about it. ITs used very lightly...but, That's not me....I'll likely change it at 90000 miles......just because. But at 47000? I'm not going to think about it.

6. 2017 Redline HC

I just watched a video on inspecting an A8 fluid level....I liked the old dipstick better.

7. Janning

How long has it NOT had a dipstick? must of been before 2014? they acted all secretive about it like it could not be topped off could not be checked...well thats BS.
    they said to change the filter its built into the pan so you have to buy a pan ..about $800 ? then replace 14 quarts at $50 a quart......plus labor.
    I'm BIG on changing fluids an filters, at about 70% mark of recommended (i.e. if they say every 6000, i change at 4000) but $1500 plus labor? (this is my other car not the SXT...its a 2016 hellcat A8. they said its a sealed system and as long as i never overheat the transmission I should NEVER need to do anything.
    But....as with this video above...hes low. how is this possible? if its sealed and there are no leaks.

8. Janning

After watching the video, ...even a seasoned mechanic, ..I would not trust doing this, unless he's done the exact one at least 2 previous times. I'm no slouch but i'd not even be arrogant enough to try this myself. i cna't imaigne the labor is over $200, and worth every penny for the right person doing it. Thats just a crazy process.

9. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

My 2009 RT has no dip stick. So I want to say that the NAG1 never had one. It can be check with one that I have seen at the dealer. But I changed my fluid and filter at 50,000 miles. That’s because mine was bought used and I knew the previous owner took it to the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Janning

Now that i remember I had a E500 mercedes in 2008.......no dipsick.