Well, chalk this up as a learning experience. Side exit exhaust dont do it!

Discussion in 'Challenger R/T Engine & Performance Modifications' started by BBBAD345, May 16, 2020.

1. BBBAD345

BBBAD345 Full Access Member

Tried to install a 90mm throttle body Saturday. Did not realize that the BBK PN1843 will not work on a 6.1 intake. I did not realize that in the description for the throttle body on Summit's website it only lists the 5.7 and 6.4 as compatible. My bad, Summit took it back and I ordered the BBK 85mm. The bore on the 6.1 intake is 84.5mm so PN1842 should work. Had to remove the intake manifold in order to get the TB off due to the inter-cooler in the nose being harder to remove than the intake manifold. I had also purchaced a set of BBK HO fuel rails. But when I got them I realized that the oem 6.1 rails will flow just as well. Returned the rails too.

2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

Well Thank you very much, scratch one more think off my list :(
    Thought the 85mm was to get rid of the Fly-by-Wire?

Did you look at Port Matching the Intake out to 90+?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  3. BBBAD345

I am still using the fly-by-wire on my setup, they have two diff 85mm units one with and one without fly-by-wire. I did look at porting the intake but there is not enough meat to do so on the 6.1 intake. If I opened it up to 90mm, the inner lip that holds the o-ring in place would be completely removed and there would not be anything to keep the o-ring from being drawn into the engine under vacuum.

4. 70-426_10-SRT

5. BBBAD345

That one is PN1782. The 90mm I bought needed the electronics for a 2013 5.7L. So I bought PN1843. Either way the opening in the mouth of the 6.1 intake manifold as it sets can only accept an 85mm tb. I suppose it could be ported out to a max of around 87mm from what I measured with my digital calipers.

If I had paid attention before I purchased it from Summit (or removed the intake and measured it first) I would have seen that PN1843 was only listed as fitting the 5.7 or 6.4 plastic intakes. My 85mm arrives tomorrow and the fuel rails and 90mm tb have been returned.

6. BBBAD345

Just got the 85mm BBK TB last night (PN 1842). It is a perfect fit. The opening in the back of the TB is 85.04mm and the opening in the manifold is 84.56mm. Fuel pump showed up as well. When I get home from NC on Thursday I will start putting the car back together and resume tuning.

7. BBBAD345

Ended up Having to pull the drvr side head to have a bad guide replaced. The head is ready to come off but I ran out of weekend. Just going to have the bad parts replaced. Nothing special. Really its not bad to pull the heads. The worse part is getting under the car to remove the exhaust at the flanges and pulling the block drains.

8. BBBAD345

Drvr Head.jpg The 5.7 was burning way too much oil on startup. Only has 40K on the original heads and 2K on the new short block. Thought it was a PCV issue. Spent most of July trying to fix/chase down the PCV system. I ended up pulling the driver head. When the car was 1 year old I pulled the plugs and coils to upgrade them. I saw back then that the plugs from #7 were a little black from burnt oil. It was not much so I left it be.

After pulling the head a couple of weeks ago I thought I had a bad exh guide on #7. Took the head to the shop and had Kory fix it. Cost me a hundy. He had to replace the two valves because they were bent. No evidence of them contacting the piston crown. I am wondering how this happened. I called PSI and inquired about the LS1511 springs I have and they stated that they have ppl running 8000 to 9000 rpm with the 1511s. So my revs to 7K are no problem. There is no oil residue on any of the plugs for the other cylinders. I did not pull the passenger head. I will do a comp test on those cyl to see if they are all equal before I reassemble.

I am starting to wonder if this happened during an over-rev on the oem short-block before I had the new motor installed and before I installed the PSI 1511s. Who knows.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  9. 70-426_10-SRT

Thanks for the write-up. I was wondering if it was just Preventive Maintenance or Oil Blow-by.
    I had to replace Valve Seals in my 440's all the time, never guides.
    My Wife's 5.7 has an Oil SMELL I can't find, will have to pull the plugs and look.
    But after all, it does have 212k miles and the only thing I have done to it is replace the sparkplugs at 114k

Makes since now!

BBBAD345 likes this.
  10. BBBAD345

Got the head back on the car. Still have to install rockers, pushrods, and tie-bars. Then I can reinstall the Procharger and intake.