Well, it seems that the end is in sight

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by FullThrottle64, Feb 4, 2022.

1. FullThrottle64

FullThrottle64 Member

It appears that the Hellcat as we know it is already in a state of decline, clearly on its way out the door. Dodge has now removed the [standard] manual transmission offer from all Hellcat models. After over a year of telling us it was temporary and that it would be shipping "soon", they've pulled the plug.

As my 2016 Scat Pack is getting a bit...ahem....experienced, I've been waiting for them M6 to be orderable so that I could trade up to a Hellcat. Nice.

How can Dodge get it so wrong? Ford, Nissan, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Subaru, BMW, Porsche, Hyundai, Mazda, Honda all have manual options in their performance cars. Heck, Toyota has listened to their customers and is adding a manual option for the Supra.

I guess I won't be buying a Hellcat. Mustang beckons.

NC20RT likes this.
  2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I know that a lot of you guys prefer a manual, but A Hellcat with the A8 is actually quicker and you can still use the AutoStick.

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Would you consider buying a used Hellcat with a manual, or are you concerned that it may have been abused?

4. FullThrottle64

FullThrottle64 Member

Not really relevant for me. For the absolute "fastest" I drive actual race cars on actual tracks (open-wheel SCCA). It's about the driving experience for me in my daily driver, and a slushbox manual is just not something I find engaging. (And yes, I've rented R/Ts with auto, and I just don't like 'em....and I find "autostick" to be an absolute joke.)

To each his/her own - it's about what you like. Drag racing guys like autos...but I'm a road racing guy.

For my daily driver I will not buy used, period. I bought my current '16 Scat Pack new, and I've put 192,000 miles on it. I'm still on the factory clutch and only the third set of front brakes; very few people drive cars the way I do. I also have a commute that's 120 miles each way (into Chicago from my farm), and I want every single mile and day of the original factory warranty.

To be fair, my '16 never required any sort of warranty work, but I don't have time in my life to chase down problems caused by a former owner, or deal with issues post-warranty (which is why I'm trading in the first place).

5. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Nothing wrong with a Mustang except for far too many bad Ford dealerships. I'm saving up for one to replace my '07. I'm just hoping Ford doesn't pull the plug like Stellantis. I'm a few years away at least.

FullThrottle64 likes this.
  6. Dave 2020

Dave 2020 Member

7. Dave 2020

Dave 2020 Member

Unfortunately it’s not the manufacture that is pushing this. It’s Biden because he wants to do away with fossil fuels and go electric per his web page.

gostro and NC20RT like this.
  8. mikeT

mikeT Full Access Member

Ya that's it. Tesla's been around a lot longer than Biden. Electric cars are acom'n and com'n fast. Guess your buddy Trump would have saved the gas-powered muscle cars, Eh?

9. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Dave2020, I agree with you but I really think the manufacturers are making a BIG mistake. They are moving way too fast to electric.

My wife and I were commenting during our recent trip to Key West how there were NO electric cars along the way. Just how do you get from Miami to Key West and back again in an electric?? It isn't just a straight shot there. There is very little parking as it is anywhere in the Keys so re-charging stations are laughable. Where would you place them? Won't you want to stop for eating, shopping, etc... and enjoy your trip instead of worrying about your range? Will owners really want to spend serious time on vacation re-charging?? It sure was easy filling up our Trans Am along the way, maybe spending 10 minutes filling up, going to the bathroom, and getting a few snacks.

There were thousands of cars on US 1 and realistically how will you charge all those thousands of cars? This is just one lousy example of how silly the idea of electric is and there must be hundreds upon hundreds pf similar examples across the country just like this. I really think of the national parks out west. Every parking space would need a charger. Reality check time. If electric is the goal it must be done way slower, until serious range for the batteries is developed. It could take decades and decades, not a few years.

Perhaps they could put a few charging stations here along the way. Who needs views anyway?

P1020687.JPG P1020685.JPG P1020710.JPG

Cheftobz, gostro and SRT-Tom like this.
  10. mikeT

mikeT Full Access Member

Not enough Hellcat's being ordered in that time frame for Dodge to prove it was economical. You and 8 other people wanted one. Not worth their time. Stangs are OK, if you can keep em' pointed straight.